Howdy and Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by henrietta1, Nov 18, 2013.

1. henrietta1

henrietta1 New Egg

Nov 18, 2013
    Hello BYC peeps! I am currently raising a flock of 12 hens and two roosters. I have an issue that I need some assistance with, the I have a rooster that came from my neighbors. He was attracted to the hens and has attacked me twice, usually whenever I get near the hens. The other rooster is one that I hand-raised, so he's timid and a good and gentle rooster. I've tried to get the neighbors to take him back, but they can't catch him and I can't catch him either. He can fly on top of houses and perch in trees. So, my question is, how do I catch him and be rid of him?!?

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Either trap him in an area where you can grab him or at night get him while he's roosting....good luck to you.

3. henrietta1

henrietta1 New Egg

Nov 18, 2013
    Ok, I'll try to get him while he's roosting. Thanks!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I would also recommend grabbing him from his roost. You could also try to lure him into a pen with your hens then close him in. Once you have him, the crockpot would be a good destination.

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

I use a fishing net for unruly. hard to catch chickens, set up an area with a corner to trap him in and feed them there then you have a better chance of catching him off guard. If the night time roost snatch doesn't work
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you bring him back to the neighbors - he'll probably visit you again, and not fall for the same entrapment tricks. You want Bye bye rooster for good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by