Howdy Everyone! New to chickens and have questions

welcome-byc.gif
from the great state of Kentucky!
Cant wait to see pics of your chooks!

welcome-byc.gif
from Texas!

That is awesome that you'll have little babies with so little effort on your part...many of us are envious
jumpy.gif

How many eggs does she have under her??? I'm just curious
big_smile.png
The babies should hatch in about 20 days from the day she started sitting. You'll need to provide chick starter crumbles for the babies once they're there. For the mama, I'm not sure if she can eat the same starter crumbles since she's not laying eggs right now, or if you're supposed to provide layer pellets for her. I think there's a whole thread for people with eggs under their broody hens right now.

Hopefully the hen will do a good job of protecting the babies and making sure they don't get stepped on...but ya never know...accidents could happen.

welcome-byc.gif

Glad to have you here!
frow.gif

I think it's great that you have chickens...but just one question, does your neighbor know they're living at your place?

I don't want you to get started with all the fun that there is to having chickens -- but then be disappointed because your neighbor wants them back!
smile.png

This is neat! The chickens found YOU, rather than you went looking for chickens to raise. I agree with chicken lady, does the neighbor know? Not much you can do about it now since she is setting. Have fun!!
thumbsup.gif

Hi all. Yes, the neighbor is fully aware they their chickens are over here now. Their little girl tries luring them back to their side of the fence, but as soon as they go over and eat whatever she is throwing them, they come right back here. I guess if they wanted their chickens back bad enough they would get my attention when I am outside and let me know. And I am outside a lot.

One of my horses has becomes friends with the yellow rooster. It is so cute to see them out in the back pasture grazing next to each other.

Is there a specific brand of chicken food I should get for the hen and her babies when they hatch? If it is anything like horse grain, then there is a lot to choose from. I want to make sure she and her babies get a good quality feed.

You are all so nice and helpful. Thank you.
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC. I'm a newbie too and you'll find that this place is very addictive. You think, oh I'm happy with my one little chicken, then boom, you find yourself building coops and brooders.
You'll like it here.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom