Howdy from East Texas

grumpyhen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 13, 2014
Hallsville, Texas (East)
Howdy everyone! I've been snooping around on this site for advice for a while and have finally decided to join in on the madness.

I have been raising chickens and ducks for about a year now and I am still learning. The first set of six pullets I raised from tractor supply left me with one big rooster and the knowledge that you must use medicated chick starter if you want birds to live... Yeah. :/

I just ordered some chicken saddles. I have three hens that have been getting a little too much love from their Roo. Any luck with saddles? I know I need more hens (I have four young pullets that are almost big enough to introduce to the flock) and I was looking around to see if any of y'all east Texans would be happy to give a hen or two a good home.

Just realized I'm rambling so I'm gunna hush up and wait for the hellos. ;)

images

You might want to check in with your states thread and chat with others in your area if anyone has any hens they would like to share...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas

I have never used hen saddles, but I hear they do work well to keep the rooster from wearing a path on the hens backs. Good luck in finding more birds and enjoy BYC!

Thanks everyone! I'm beyond excited for the saddles. I had gotten two hens from my grannys church friend and one had already gotten bare back from their rooster. :/ Thanks for the link :) I'm so ready to grow my little flock.

Back
Top Bottom