1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Howdy from Grapevine, Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fiddlechicks, Sep 12, 2010.

1. fiddlechicks

fiddlechicks New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Hey y'all. I'm new to raising chickens and new to the forum, so have lots of questions. How do I find specific types of pullets or hens without having to order three or more, or is that not possible unless I know someone who has them? I've done some networking with local feed stores and farmers, but I'm only going to get 2 or 3 hens and would like one to be a Dominique. Any suggestions? Thank you for any advice you can offer! [​IMG]

2. CrazyBirdLady21

CrazyBirdLady21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    I'm from NC, and we had a low choice of hatcheries. I really wanted Barred Rocks, and after lots of searching online, I found a quite reputable hatchery that had BRs. They were Sumner Byrd Hatchery in Holly Springs, NC, but I guess that doesn't really help you in Texas. Basically, just look around on the web. I just typed in "Hatcheries in NC" to Google, and found one that looked nice and had BRs. Hope I could help!

3. fiddlechicks

fiddlechicks New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Hi Crazy Bird Lady. Thanks for your advice. Guess if you only plan to buy 2 or 3 you have to take what you can get, huh? How long have you been raising chickens and can you think of any pitfalls I should anticipate? Thanks!

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  7. propagata

propagata Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Another good hatchery in NC is Little Birdie Hatchery in Wake Forest NC. Howdy:)

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

9. sheisaeval

sheisaeval New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    I know this is an old thread but I'm from Grapevine too! How's your coop and future adventures going? I'll be getting my first chicks in May, I can't wait!

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Unsure if this person will respond - they haven't posted since September of 2010.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by