Howdy from Houston

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TxAg11, Jan 13, 2016.

1. TxAg11

TxAg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I have been wanting chickens for several years now and was finally able to budget the time to build my coop. I promised my wife that building the coop would cost us $0, and after several weeks of raining construction site trash piles, I've finished my coop for free!

I'm looking to buy 5-7 hens of various breeds so that we will have lots of unique eggs. I'm leaning towards Sagitta and Production Red, but wanted to know what the general consensus is for the best egg laying hens for hot places in the Gulf Coast area.
    Also, I'd really like to know what place in the Houston area would be best for me to buy my hens from. Looking forward to filling my coop! I don't really care about fancy breeds, I just want breeds that will lay good eggs and are healthy and resilient.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

I'm not from the Gulf Coast, but summers here in Georgia are very hot and humid - I have BR's and BO's and they have done well with shade, iced water, cold melons, and a fan blowing across their run. Our past summer averaged 100 and over.

You could post under "where am I, where are you" forum to locate folks in your are who likely can offer you the answers you seek.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great advice already so I'll just say a big hello and welcome to BYC.

All the best with your new chicken adventure!

Ct

4. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and [​IMG]
    We are glad you joined us!

May i suggest getting some Easter Eggers as well? They lay an excellent variety color of eggs, blue, turquoise, cream, light green, and dark green. I'm sure you would like them. [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. I think it would be good to post on your state thread, and ask what breeds tolerate the heat and humidity best. In very hot climes, sometimes the coop is made with two solid walls and two walls that are completely wire (and of course a top), this way the heat doesn't build up as much. In winter - solid panels can cover the wire if necessary.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by