Howdy from Houston

TxAg11

Chirping
Jan 12, 2016
Houston, TX
I have been wanting chickens for several years now and was finally able to budget the time to build my coop. I promised my wife that building the coop would cost us $0, and after several weeks of raining construction site trash piles, I've finished my coop for free!

I'm looking to buy 5-7 hens of various breeds so that we will have lots of unique eggs. I'm leaning towards Sagitta and Production Red, but wanted to know what the general consensus is for the best egg laying hens for hot places in the Gulf Coast area.
Also, I'd really like to know what place in the Houston area would be best for me to buy my hens from. Looking forward to filling my coop! I don't really care about fancy breeds, I just want breeds that will lay good eggs and are healthy and resilient.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.

I'm not from the Gulf Coast, but summers here in Georgia are very hot and humid - I have BR's and BO's and they have done well with shade, iced water, cold melons, and a fan blowing across their run. Our past summer averaged 100 and over.

You could post under "where am I, where are you" forum to locate folks in your are who likely can offer you the answers you seek.

Great advice already so I'll just say a big hello and welcome to BYC.

All the best with your new chicken adventure!

Ct

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

We are glad you joined us!

May i suggest getting some Easter Eggers as well? They lay an excellent variety color of eggs, blue, turquoise, cream, light green, and dark green. I'm sure you would like them.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. I think it would be good to post on your state thread, and ask what breeds tolerate the heat and humidity best. In very hot climes, sometimes the coop is made with two solid walls and two walls that are completely wire (and of course a top), this way the heat doesn't build up as much. In winter - solid panels can cover the wire if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom