howdy from kentucky

mrjones

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Greets all. I'm clearly new and my wife and I recently took on to a 5 acre piece of land with our new to us home. Undoubtedly self sufficiency became the unspoken theme. And of course chickens do to. :) I have many questions very few answers just yet and look forward to the learning experience. Thanks for your time!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sounds like a perfect place for raising chickens.Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any specific breeds in mind for your farm?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

The best place to start is in our learning center. Lots of great articles on getting started with chickens, picking the breeds, raising the chicks, building the coop and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

Actually we bought 24 pullets 4 each of 6 varieties. We bought so many because a friend of ours bought from a similar location and lost half of their chicks without any sign of disease.

We also have an adult hen who is laying. She had 3 sisters but they became prey. There was a rooster (carl) also but he suffered the same fate doing his job. I do have another rooster but he is immature. I tried placing him with 2 hens after carl died and he would bully one and be bullied by the other. Since then he has been segregated because he would try to mount the 6/7 week old chicks. So he's in a look but no touch state at the moment.

I'm working on the predator problem currently as it is now coming out in the day almost always after it sees that my wife's routine is continued. Within 20 minutes it comes out and snoops. Some prints suggest fox as I have caught one but I think a bobcat ate it (found poo and prints). I should point out that my wifes routine is taking the kids to school. It was all good for a near a month and then it's all I can do to set traps. Sit and wait hell I even let my dogs out into the woods to try and spook it.

I feel bad that I lost so many chickens. But I know that is a threat when you lettem free range.
And I know they can cause a lot of havoc in a short time too. I am currently building a large coop which is near completion. I will post pics when it's done. The run was the first thing we built which is complete.

What an introduction huh? BTW I have lurked off and on for the past couple weeks but I am to the point that I think fresh feedback would bring new life to threats that others could face. My young rooster is very pretty but I have no idea what kind he is.

Thanks for the many responses and welcomes. I look forward to being round here.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom