Howdy from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pioneer, Jul 6, 2011.

1. pioneer

pioneer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    While we're not new to chickens,this is my first forum.We've been raising peeps for approx.10+ yrs.We got our first 25 for grasshopper control.We thought we wanted Guinea hens,but it was then too late in the year to order them so we got chicks instead.We are mainly into the wonderful eggs but this year we sent a batch of meaties(corinsh roasters)to freezer camp.We currently have a very diverse flock of about 45 birds.Most of them are 20 weeks and we are expecting a surplus of eggs anytime now.I'm currently unemployed(big club)so hope to sell some for hatching.
    After reading here about other experiences with shipping,I agree that the carriers are not moving hatchery orders as they should.This year is the first time we had dead chicks on arrival.We have used the same hatchery for years.They were great and replaced the losses,even though I believe it was no fault of their own!
    I'm working up a prototype plucker and will put pics when I complete it.We like to DIY anything we can.We also prefer a skin on chicken.My plucker is a far cry from a Whizbang type and will be affordable enough to justify the cost even if you only use it once in a while.....Keep Hatching!

Here's the roster 12 Buff Orpies,3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte,7White Crested polish, 2 Black Polish,1 Buff,1Silver,2white,2 GoldenPolish,1Mottled Houdan ,Sumatra,1White Langsham,1 Sultan,1Partridge Cochin,2 Black Cochin,1Speckled Sussex,2 RIR,1Golden Laced Wyandotte,1Barred Rock,and 1 Guinnea. 1 dog, 5 koi, 2 Goldfish. 1 wife of 22 years and 2 Children 19 and 13. LOL

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    [​IMG] You won't be able to post pics until you have a few more posts up (spam prevention) Enjoy the forum!!!!

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Howdy back at ya--- also from Texas,

Welcome to BYC...You do have quite a roster of chickens. Good luck with the chicken adventures here on the forum.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Can't wait to see your plucker! [​IMG]

5. pioneer

pioneer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    thanx all,and yes I'll learn this forum thing and post pics when permitted.Can't wait!
    Time to roost,Later

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    Welcome The Back Yard Chicken Coop [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011