Howdy from TEXAS!!!

Melsbeutimushen

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Hi! My name is Melinda and I am new to the chicken world. I have 5 hens that I have raised from day 1 and one rooster that I have also raised from a hatchling. I do have a few questions.

1. I have a hen that we have named Brittney. She seems to think that she is a common everyday pet and likes to go for rides in the truck and on my riding mower when I mow. How do I break her of that.

2. My rooster was crowing but was attacked by a dog. He no longer crows. Does anyone know if he will again, I miss it.

3. My hens are free range but I do put them up at night because we are in the country and I don't want a coon or anything getting them. They will not nest/lay in the boxes I have in the coop. It is old milk crates that are filled with hay (we have extra because of horses) and they are backed up to a half of a dog house (for the ducks (2) ) . They will hold their eggs until I let hem out, and then they will run to an unknown place and lay. I have tried to keep them locked up for a couple days but it is hard because of the fact that it is a small coop and I feel sorry for them.

Can anyone help :)

forgot to add they are 23 weeks and growing.

Welcome to BYC! The only solution to your problems regarding the pet chicken and the laying issues is to keep them locked up in the coop/run. I feel bad for my chickens too but it's for their safety and also so they use nest boxes. I would post on this thread regarding your rooster's problem: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures good luck to you.

Edited to add: if you can, enlarge the run so they have more room to move around. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Greetings from Texas! Welcome to BYC!

I am unsure of how to break your chicken that likes to go for rides.

How badly was your rooster injured in the attack?

Try putting some fake eggs in their nesting boxes and keep them in for a few days to see if that helps.

Best of Luck with your flock
Cherish

He was hurt enough to where we had to bring him in and keep him in the bathroom for the night and most of the next day. The dogs only pulled out feathers not much else. See Photo

I just went and found some easter eggs. Hope that works!! Thank you all

Greetings from Kansas, Melinda, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! Your rooster might just be in a bit of state of shock from the dog. I think the crowing will return. Good luck and best wishes!

You may not like what your hen does but, I can tell you there are loads of people that wish they had her. Many people want a chicken that can be a pet, a lot of them even keep them in the house. They would have a ball with a chicken that wants to ride in the car and probably go to McDonalds etc. Maybe she is just too smart for a life of rolling in mud and scratching for bugs. She was born for better things.

If you encouraged some of her behaviors you might have a chance at winning a Most Talented Pet contest. Face it smart dogs are no big deal but, a chicken that knows tricks IS.

If you decide to dump her write up an ad about how socialized she is and loves to be a member of the human family. I guarantee you will have takers.

Oh don't get me wrong I love Brit. I just don't want something happening to her because she gets into the truck or isn't scared of the mower. I am afraid of her getting into the cab of the truck and we not knowing it and leaving her in there is all. She hasn't ever messed in there or anything so that is no worry. She will even jump on my lap to be petted. I do <3 her though, I mean how can you not love a chicken that knows her name at only 23 weeks
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom