Howdy from the DFW Westoplex

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sarhoundlvr, Mar 10, 2014.

1. sarhoundlvr

sarhoundlvr New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    north central texas
    Howdy! I am brand new to this site, living in the DFW Westoplex (I'm about 1hr southwest of FW). I have 2 horses and 5 dogs (2 pets and 3 for SAR). I decided a few months ago I wanted to do chickens this year to help with bug control. My neighbor has them, why not me! So I got my outside coop built but havent had a chance to finish the inside. I was planning on getting them early April so no rush right (was going to start with TSC and see how that went).

Wellllll..... I work in law enforcement and last night ended up having to adopt 6 -2 wk old chicks (red pullets and a white leghorn). And of course was too busy afterwards to get them home so spent the night with 6 patrol chicks. Gives new meaning to the phrase "chicks with guns".
    I'm not completely prepared, so now they are living in a wire crate with a space heater in my bathtub till I can pick up supplies on Monday. They are cheeping and bouncing around so I guess its working. Been reading this site! Glad it's here!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Chicks may be cheeping so much because they are cold. At this age they would have a heat lamp - so that at their foot level the temp. would be 85 degrees. You lower by 5 every week until they fully feathered and ready to go outside.

On the other hand, they also cheep a lot when they are too hot.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the new chicks! That was an interesting start to chicken keeping.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - how ya gonna keep them chicks in the coop once they've been on patrol?[​IMG]

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by