Howdy from VA

CariLynn

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
State of confusion
Hope it is okay to be on this forum, I don't live in the city but in the country and technically my chickens aren't in my backyard, but I can walk out on my deck and see them....

I have 10 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster, Chief, is a beautiful Buff Orpington and he takes his job very seriously. The hens are several different breeds, a Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, several black Australorps, one grey Australorp, a Barred Rock, and a white Leghorn. Six of my hens have names and I am still working on 4 more names, it comes with watching them and their personality. So far, several of the hens are laying, we get 4 to 6 eggs a day and it is such a joy to have them, as they will run up to me, I can feed them out of my hand, and don't mind getting up early in the morning to let them out.

Backyard or barnyard...not a problem. As long as you love them for the great animals that they are
smile.png
I'm new to this forum also, but it seems really cool & I've gotten some great advice just reading like-situation threads. I love your assortment of breeds! We're going to get a few more chicks next week. My daughter wants another Buff Orpington because ours is just the sweetest, most refined thing. I think we might also go for a Barred Rock, they're SO pretty. Isn't it great to look out your back window & see them all happily roaming around? Welcome to the forum!

Thanks BG! Yes, I really like my hens, I went out to put them in as I am running to town and there is a nest of hawks in our woods...I now have 4 of the hens walking with me or trotting to keep up! My friends call me the "Chicken Whisperer" as it only took me a few days to gain the trust of many of them, but I do try to feed them out of my hand every morning and evening when I am at the barn doing my other animals.

Also I have two Percheron mares, two Quarter Horses, an aged Malamutt (Malamute/GSD cross), one red and white Siberian Husky, and a field mouse that we raised when we found in our den, she is in my son's room.

Back
Top Bottom