Howdy! New Chicken Mom Here

Welcome. It’s nice to have a vet tech on board with us. The best advice I can give you is with respect to space and protection. Make sure your coop is something you can walk into and is 3-4 times bigger than you planned. Converting a shed works well, especially for the number of chickens you have. You just need to add roosting bars, nesting boxes and more ventilation to the shed. When you cut holes, secure the holes with hardware cloth. Your run should be big, provide some shade for everyone, and should be completely covered top and sides with 1/2 inch hardware cloth with a hardware cloth apron. Then you don’t have to worry about predators.

Welcome.

LETS SEE THESE CHICKENS!
563F7DA5-48BE-489F-9F10-300F7346CC66.jpeg

Here’s most of my flock! They’ve been such good girls and boys 💕 a lot of the “Wyandottes” I’m not sure what they actually are but they’re the prettiest birds in the bunch!

I love your flock! Looks like you have one pretty Easter Egger in the mix: the pullet in the center of the photo just above the Rhode Island red at center bottom of photo. You may already know that but didn't include her in your breed list. If she is a surprise, then before long she will be surprising you with either blue or green eggs. Which ones were sold to you as Wyandottes? :)

I love your flock! Looks like you have one pretty Easter Egger in the mix: the pullet in the center of the photo just above the Rhode Island red at center bottom of photo. You may already know that but didn't include her in your breed list. If she is a surprise, then before long she will be surprising you with either blue or green eggs. Which ones were sold to you as Wyandottes? :)
That is a surprise! She was one labeled a Wyandotte 🙈 pretty much all the ones that are colorful we’re labeled Wyandottes. I’ll try to get more pics of them 😂 Also, our RIR’s my aunt swears they are cinnamon queens not RIR’s lol

That is a surprise! She was one labeled a Wyandotte 🙈 pretty much all the ones that are colorful we’re labeled Wyandottes. I’ll try to get more pics of them 😂 Also, our RIR’s my aunt swears they are cinnamon queens not RIR’s lol
Now that you mentioned it, it looks like you have both! The red with white undercoats and white tail tips are cinnamon queens, and the red with black tail tips and no white feathers at all are Rhode Island Reds. Well, that gives you even more variety than before, and all of the above are great breeds, both in egg production and friendly temperaments. Yes, when you get time, post pics of the others!

Welcome to the BYC family!
They are probably Cinnamon Queens.

Back
Top Bottom