1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Howdy Y'all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BenHogan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. BenHogan

BenHogan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    Every time I Google a chicken related question, Back Yard Chickens shows up on the first page of results. Have already gleaned a lot of useful information in the forums, so I finally decided to join. Now I'm sitting here laughing because under my name it says that I have just been hatched! [​IMG] OK! I'll roll with it! [​IMG] Never mind I was hatched so long ago I don't think I'm wet behind the ears anymore! [​IMG] Have a great day y'all and I'll go quick run a towel behind my ears to be safe.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

:lol:
    Welcome to BYC we are glad to have you!

3. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Welcome aboard Ben! I'm not actually "chicken obsessed" either, but what do ya do? [​IMG] Glad to have you join us.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!! Yes, seems that Google has lead many of us to join BYC.

Here is a thread you can look at as to how those titles change. As you post, you will go from New Egg to Just Hatched, Out of the Brooder and so on. Take a look here to see when they change....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-what-are-they-and-how-when-are-they-changed

Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have. Welcome to our roost!

1 person likes this.
  5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on the link provided by Two Crows.

I found BYC through Google as well!

6. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Maybe you need to sit under a heat lamp being such a big chick and all, usually chicks dry and fluff up pretty fast.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. BenHogan

BenHogan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    As a youngster we kept a flock of laying hens that varied widely on breeds with the most prominent variety being Barred Rocks. After getting married and starting my own home, I left the chickens behind. But several years ago we got our first batch of chicks picked out of the leftover chicks from a local feed store's chick days. When I saw how thrilled my boys were over them, I was hooked again. That first flock was a mix of all three main varieties of Brahmas, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, White Rocks, Black Sex Link, and Red Sex Link. From there we went to a flock of Sussex, Later Buff Orpingtons, then most recently the Buffies were joined by some Delaware hens and a rooster. Currently we are seriously contemplating a move out of state, so all our hens were sent off to other homes to make the move easier for all of us. As soon as possible after the move, I hope to start a brand new flock with an eye toward Barred Rocks again [​IMG] and some New Hampshires. I am always looking for a solid line of good egg layers that produce well even through colder weather and that have enough body mass to be a good dual purpose bird. And I just love experimenting with any breed I think I can get away with bringing home to add to my menagerie! [​IMG]

Of course our flock also included a lot of turkeys with Royal Palms and Bourbon Reds be the predominate choice, the obligatory flock of various guinea hens. Most recently our flock included some Muscovy ducks, and three big white geese that the boys hatched from a dozen eggs I purchased at a small animal sale barn.

I even tried a short stint in raising fancy pheasants with decent success with Red Gold and Yellow Gold pheasants. That I hope to start up again after our move. I'll put out some feelers then to see if any of y'all can hook me up with a good source of chicks or eggs for that.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by