Hows knows there ducks

Pekin747

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
Ireland
So.im looking to see if anyone can give me more advise on certain breeds of ducks
Bali
Muscovy
Call
Indian runner
Mandarin
Ik i can look on Google but let's be realistic here there no.better place to get information than this platform
If u can give me ur personal experience or certain facts that need to be really considered about any of these breeds like likes and dislikes diet mating etc

I have Muscovy and Indian Runner
Muscovy great ducks easy going likes to fly so that needs to be taken into consideration
They are great for eating bugs good and bad they don't discriminate lol
They are pretty easy to tame they will eat out of your hand and follow you around like a puppy dog.
Some say they taste good that I haven't done and I've had them since 2004.
I have 1 drake 4 females now which is a good ratio having more drakes unless you have a huge pond and lots of acreage can cause fighting which kind of takes away from the enjoyment of having Muscovy's. The females love to brood so if you want lots of ducklings Muscovy's are for you.

Indian Runners
They are totally opposite from Muscovy's they are a busy duck love to forage and hunt to me they need exercise so keeping them penned up would be a disservice to this breed. They are active and reserved. I have a few that will eat out of my hand but all will come around me for treats.
They are what I call the clowns of the barn yard their antics just have to make you smile of laugh. A lot of people keep them for eradicating bugs in orchards and gardens. Just make sure if putting them in a garden the plants are high enough they won't trample them looking for that insect that might be tasty.

Both my duck breeds I also have Buff Orrington's are great for taking care of insects if that's an issue. So you can't go wrong with either breed. My Runners lay eggs much better than my Muscovy's difference being my Muscovy's are brooders my Runners are not. So to add Runners to my flock My Muscovy's brood and hatch them. Win Win for me.

I have six calls and they are probably my most favorite duck breed out of the ones i have.They can be very loud when their upset so consider your neighbors if you choose to get some.They dont lay very much eggs so as far as egg production goes your screwed.They are mostly kept for pets and exhibition.They definitely have a fun personalty and can be tamed very easily .They also can fly very well so if you want to keep them contained you will have to clip there wings.

I have Calls and they are easy keepers. Very sweet little Ducks. Mine come When called and always quacking.
Definitely can be loud when wanting something. I have covered Runs for my Birds because not only do they fly but can be good climbers too...:gig

Back
Top Bottom