How's my EasterEgger?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I truly appreciate the EE thread, but I can't seem to find my answers in looong threads when I can finally sit down by my computer and log in. So I am posting Donna's photo here, hoping somebody can tell me how she's coming along, she's MAYBE starting to pink up around her face, MAYBE thinking about laying an egg, she hatched in early June. If she lays a green or bluish egg, I wonder if I could qualify to have a show chicken? If her egg is buff, would she still be able to join a club or show?

Her dad's a silkie, her mom was sold to us as an Americauna. Mom lays buff eggs. Dad's sister lays white eggs. Donna's ears are bright blue.
    She's a love:

[​IMG]

Here she is with her mom, even though mom just moulted her beard is where Donna got hers:
    [​IMG]
    ...except Donna also has some tufty ear wingie things which wrap around her head.

Donna is SO BLACK, even her feet and legs are black, I photoshopped the contrast, tint and brightness just to be able to see her features on these photos! Her eyes are dark, dark brown.
    She is a LOVE, I tell you. She knows her name and hops up onto my arm (too heavy to land in my hand) for talks and treats. She's funny and curious and smart, like most EE's.
    Does she qualify as a true EE?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Eggers are mutts [​IMG] Not a true breed, so, she can't be shown except in things like 4-H, which then it doesn't really matter what she is, as long as she's of good condition.

As long as one of her parents laid a blue or green egg, she's an EE though. [​IMG]

3. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    There is no such thing as a true EE. EE is the mix of amerucana to any other breed making them lay different colored eggs. Hint the name Easter Egger.

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Ilia do you show chickens? Donna is a good candidate for taking places to "see the world". She loves hopping into the car when I get home, she is curious about everything and often stops people on the sidewalk to "talk". She's usually carrying around a toy of some sort, a maple whirligig or an old dried out beanpod, or one day, a piece of shoe mat.

She was hatched alone, and once her nanny broodyhen was done, Donna was left to fend for herself, which was fine for her making human and cat and bunny friends. Now that she's BIGGER than our bantam flock, they don't peck her much anymore (can't reach).

She has a nice high place on the roosts at night with all the others, but I bet she wouldn't mind getting out to see the world now and then, with other chickens. And maybe so would I. But I'm not a 4H kid, I'm 46 years old.

Do you know anything about it? I think she's very pretty.

5. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    I'm sorry to say but it doesn't matter if she is pretty or not she is a mix breed and can not be shown. She is pretty but just for back yard eye candy

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Sorry about the breed issue but she is a VERY Beautiful chicken!! I just looked at the picture of her for a couple of minutes. Just beautiful.

7. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Well OK. She's happy in her backyard, anyways. She does get visitors, which is good. And her friendship with our bunny is good. She's found her way up the pecking order. It's all good.

Thanks for your reply!

8. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    She's awesome! You won't be able to show her in a sanctioned poultry show, but that shouldn't stop you from showing her to the world. What about getting in touch with your local library, retirement home, schools, etc and show her to your community! You could even start a facebook page for her and create a fan group and write updates and stories on her. Why not? If that is what you'd like to do. Chickens are enriching and such a joy to share. I say go for it.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Most EE's don't have Ameraucana behind them [​IMG] And some have Araucana behind them. EE's are anything with a blue or green laying parent. Doesn't need to be purebred.

But as mentioned, she can't be shown in a true, sanctioned show because she's not an actual breed.

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    6chickens in St. Charles :

I truly appreciate the EE thread, but I can't seem to find my answers in looong threads when I can finally sit down by my computer and log in. So I am posting Donna's photo here, hoping somebody can tell me how she's coming along, she's MAYBE starting to pink up around her face, MAYBE thinking about laying an egg, she hatched in early June. If she lays a green or bluish egg, I wonder if I could qualify to have a show chicken? If her egg is buff, would she still be able to join a club or show?

Her dad's a silkie, her mom was sold to us as an Americauna. Mom lays buff eggs. Dad's sister lays white eggs. Donna's ears are bright blue.
    She's a love:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25976_donna_ee_portrait.jpg

Here she is with her mom, even though mom just moulted her beard is where Donna got hers:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25976_donna_beard_with_roaster.jpg
    ...except Donna also has some tufty ear wingie things which wrap around her head.

Donna is SO BLACK, even her feet and legs are black, I photoshopped the contrast, tint and brightness just to be able to see her features on these photos! Her eyes are dark, dark brown.
    She is a LOVE, I tell you. She knows her name and hops up onto my arm (too heavy to land in my hand) for talks and treats. She's funny and curious and smart, like most EE's.
    Does she qualify as a true EE?

Very pretty. I do not normally like the silkie crosses but that and one other Silkie cross are the blackest most beautiful chickens I have ever seen. The other one is a Turken (Naked Neck) cross that my brother owns. Donn't let these other people get you down, shows aren't everything. Just enjoy your chickens.

And thanks for showing her to us all here.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by