How's the cost of feed in your area?

Cost is ridiculous. I think I pay between $15 and $19 a bag depending on type. Usually $15 for 16% layer and about $18 for 20% layer. Meatbird/gamebird at almost $20 a bag!
ep.gif

$43 for
a 50lb of corn cracks
a 50lb of gamebird starter
a 50lb of goat pellet ration
a 45lb bale of bermuda grass hay.

guess we're doing better than most.

I'm paying 10.50 for chick starter, 11.00 for layer pellets, and 11.50 for 5-way game. 50 ib bag. Its all pride and pleasure brand. Looks like its by far cheaper here in Al than many places.

$14.95 will buy you 50 lbs of gamebird starter, gamebird flight conditioner, chicken starter, chicken layer feed or a bale of alfalfa hay. Seems like everything is $14.95 is the going rate for everything around here!

Quote:
I'd be concerned about the pellets getting old.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Some of the grain sits in the silos for years.

YOU MAY WISH TO RETHINK THIS...

A mycotoxicosis is a disease caused by a toxin produced by a fungus. In poultry, this usually results when fungi grow in grains and feeds. Hundreds of mycotoxins have been identified and many are pathogenic. Mycotoxins may have additive or even synergistic effects with other mycotoxins, infectious agents, and nutritional deficiencies. Many are chemically stable and maintain toxicity over time.

The significance of mycotoxin problems in poultry is probably considerable but yet insidious. The impact on poultry production may be best measured indirectly by the improvements in weight gain, feed efficiency, pigmentation, egg production, and reproductive performance that accompany effective control programs for mycotoxins.
Aflatoxicosis: The aflatoxins are toxic and carcinogenic metabolites of Aspergillus flavus , A parasiticus , and others. Aflatoxicosis in poultry primarily affects the liver, but can involve immunologic, digestive, and hematopoietic functions. It affects weight gain, feed intake, feed conversion efficiency, pigmentation, processing yield, egg production, male and female fertility, and hatchability. Some effects are directly attributable to toxins, while others are indirect, such as reduced feed intake. Susceptibility to aflatoxins varies, but in general, ducklings, turkeys, and pheasants are susceptible, while chickens, Japanese quail, and guinea fowl are relatively resistant.

Aflatoxicosis, fatty liver, chicken

Clinical signs vary from general unthriftiness to high morbidity and mortality. At necropsy, the lesions are found mainly in the liver, which can be reddened due to necrosis and congestion or yellow due to lipid accumulation. Hemorrhages may also occur. In chronic aflatoxicosis, the liver becomes yellow to gray and atrophied. The aflatoxins are carcinogenic, but tumor formation is rare with the natural disease, probably because the animals do not live long enough for this to occur.

FURTHERMORE, EVER WONDER WHY THERE ARENT ANY DECENT "ORGANIC" GAMEBIRD FEEDS READILY COMMERCIALLY PRODUCED AND AVAILABLE? SEE THAT HIGHLIGHTED NAME UP THERE? ASPERGILLIS IS A FAVORITE PROTIEN SOURCE FOR THE "ORGANIC/ GMO FREE" CROWD

Back
Top Bottom