How's this for an adventure?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Oblio13, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My veterinarian bought a bushplane in Seattle. He invited me to go along to bring it back to New Hampshire. Took us seven days to cross the country, most of it at a couple hundred feet with the windows open.

Landing on a dirt road in Montana:

[​IMG]

Sleeping in a barn in North Dakota:

[​IMG]

Borrowing a satellite phone in Michigan's upper peninsula after a minor crack-up. It only worked on the roof:

[​IMG]

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Lucky!!!! bet it was fun! [​IMG]

3. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Wow - that sounds pretty cool! Who's barn were you sleeping in?

4. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    That was a total adventure!!! Thanks for the pictures.

5. Oblio13

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Don't know. It was getting dark and we couldn't find the airport we were looking for, so we landed in a field by a pond. It was very windy and there was no way to tie the airplane down and no trees to hang our hammocks in. So we taxied down a road to a barn and parked on the lee side. There was nobody home so we just slung our hammocks and hoped nobody would mind. We left at dawn the next morning without seeing anyone. Not an ideal situation, but the best idea we could come up with under the circumstances.

6. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    This would have been neat...and pretty brave of you pitching a hammock in a stranger's barn. But I bet they wouldn't have minded anyway. [​IMG]

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Sounds like you had alot of fun.

8. Oblio13

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I was pretty uncomfortable doing it, but couldn't think of any reasonable options. It was better than droning around lost in the dark or having the plane damaged by wind. And every single person we met on the trip was incredibly nice. Here's my favorite, Carol. We camped on her property while we awaited repairs. She's 77, living alone nine miles back on a dirt road, with no electricity or plumbing. There's an active eagle nest in her front yard. She fed us tomatoes, peaches and pears that she had canned, and cooked us duck eggs and bean soup. We cut firewood for her and tried unsuccessfully to get her tractor running.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Too bad the aircraft he had to pick up wasn't a nice Cessna Sovereign. You wouldn't have even had time to change your watch to the right time zone before you landed again.

10. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Wow, now that is an adventure. Sounds so fantastic. I just love the story about Carol, that is amazing to think that people still live like that. We are such a spoiled people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by