HR 875 - home farming bill - PLEASE NO POLITICAL ATTACKS _ INFO ONLY

mistylady

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Ohio near Coshocton
This is NOT meant to be a political thread in any way. I was emailed the information about this bill and it surprised me so I felt that I should share with my farming and gardening family here. There is a link to the actual bill at the bottom of the page. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS A BANNED TOPIC! PLEASE NO POLITICAL COMMENTS. Its for information only. I'm still digesting this and trying to figure it all out. The following is what I received:

Thank you to a good friend for sending this.

United States Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) has proposed
legislation, *H.R. 875*, which *would literally prohibit Americans from raising food* for themselves, their families, or *even for their
animals*.

*H.R. 875, the so-called Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (FSMA)*
sounds innocent enough at first blush, with language purporting to
"protect the public health by preventing food-borne illness, ensuring
the safety of food, improving research on contaminants leading to
food-borne illness, and improving security of food from intentional
contamination, and for other purposes." In reality, *the FSMA is an
extensive and all-controlling abomination that must be stopped!*

The *FSMA mandates registration* of every "food production facility," which the bill defines as *"any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation;" and every* "food establishment," which the bill defines as "a slaughterhouse..., factory, warehouse, *or facility owned or operated by a person located in any State that processes food or a facility that holds, stores, or transports food or food ingredients."*

*H.R. 875 makes NAIS look tame.* This bill will not just sweep up
commercial food operations. The fine print of the FSMA will subject
hobby gardeners, home canners, anyone with a few chickens, or anyone who
"holds, stores, or transports food" - including mushrooms or wild
berries gathered in the wild - to registration, extensive management,
and inspection by a huge new bureaucracy, the Food Safety Administration
(FSA)- even if the food items will only be consumed personally. And
registration must be via "an electronic portal," which will be costly
and difficult for those without computers.

*H.R. 875 exponentially advances the "Foodborne Disease Surveillance
Systems" required of member states of the World Health Organization
(WHO)*, which includes the United States. "Food establishments" will be
required to adopt preventive process controls, *including implementing
recordkeeping and labeling of all food and food ingredients to
facilitate their identification and traceability, /including
instructions for handling and preparation for consumption./* This might
sound rather reasonable... until you remember the definition of a "food
establishment" above.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875

(13) FOOD ESTABLISHMENT-

(A) IN GENERAL- The term ‘food establishment’ means a slaughterhouse (except those regulated under the Federal Meat Inspection Act or the Poultry Products Inspection Act), factory, warehouse, or facility owned or operated by a person located in any State that processes food or a facility that holds, stores, or transports food or food ingredients.

(B) EXCLUSIONS- For the purposes of registration, the term ‘food establishment’ does not include a food production facility as defined in paragraph (14), restaurant, other retail food establishment, nonprofit food establishment in which food is prepared for or served directly to the consumer, or fishing vessel (other than a fishing vessel engaged in processing, as that term is defined in section 123.3 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations).

(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

What is to stop them from declaring my 7200 sq foot lot as a "food production facility" since I have 3 fruit trees, vegetable beds, 5 ducks, and a pond I am thinking of using as a hydroponic garden system?

What number off fees and amount of regulation would I fall under the second I was declared a food production facility?

this will NEVER happen in ALASKA! this stuff is a way of life up here.. people will throw a HUGE fit I mean collecting salmon here is part of subsistence way of life and we would not make it if we didnt have the ability to fish for our selves!

This seems like something to keep an eye on, kinda hard to comment on it without being political seeing as its our government who would ultimately be the one to do this. I just cant see this as passing but who knows in todays climate.

Makes one wonder who is lobbying for this, does it not? I wonder how much more money would be available to retail outfits if we had to buy all food from stores. Dont forget the taxes not being collected in the states that charge taxes for food.

Did I do ok with the no political thingie?

Quote:
Sorry for the partial hijack but I am very interested in this pond thing. I have a huge pond.

Oh joy. Makes me wanna go out to the woods.
tongue.png
I'll bet they won't like my dream of 12 chickens, 5 ducks, 10 meat bunnies, 3 dairy goats, and countless meat quail.

Thank you everyone! The non-polical thing is doing great! I appreciate it! Hugs to everyone!!!! I think this is pretty important stuff - kinda scares me a bit or two though.

This part : "(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation." is what really intrigues me. I guess my barn, coop and fenced pastures are confined animal feeding places. I hate to be a criminal but I'm keeping my pets! It wouldn't be home without my furry and feathered babies. I'd have to spend time with ..... DH! Argh!!!! Give me a chicken to calm pet and calm my nerves please!!!!!

Quote:
If I'm reading the bill correctly, the line above what you've quoted says that items in paragraph 14 are excluded. Given that info, home facilities and those that serve directly to the consumer, would be excluded.

(B) EXCLUSIONS- For the purposes of registration, the term ‘food establishment’ does not include a food production facility as defined in paragraph (14), restaurant, other retail food establishment, nonprofit food establishment in which food is prepared for or served directly to the consumer, or fishing vessel (other than a fishing vessel engaged in processing, as that term is defined in section 123.3 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations).

(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

NAIS also excludes those "confined animal" situations b/c it sees that certain animals, like backyard flocks, as "confined", meaning that they won't enter the general public's food chain.​

Back
Top Bottom