HS/HC floor size for cots

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
Would 1/8" HS be better for cot pen floors than 1/4"? I kinda want to use 1/8" anyway so I can use it with younger birds and still avoid feet getting caught. Also want to know if cots are better kept in single quad pens vs. colonies of say 3 quads...?

I dont work in inches but I can tell you ... you want the poo to fall through....
Maybe try news paper and sawdust on top of the wire (poo to fall through for adult cots)... then do a magic trick and pull it away when they are bigger?
I dont know about the single quad verus colony quad... yet ...

i use 1/2 " . if you use 1/4 " it's BRUTAL to keep clean ....i speak from experience...1/2" works fine for 2 week olds and up . you can always lay shelf liner over the 1/2" .

Quote:
+1....
thumbsup.gif

For my Bobs, (which feet size should not differ from Cots that much) I use 1/2" HC with paper towels. (The pic shows a layer of newspaper first with old bath towels for their initial floor for the first week or so, but I use paper towels only now). I'm putting my chicks on the wire at 7-8 days. Just start at one end, and roll up the messy paper towel rug toward the other end. When they first put their feet on the new wire floor, they're a little confused......kinda like us southern folks when we first walk outside after s once-a-decade ice storm comes through!

Brooderpics004.jpg

You want 1/2 inch wire for adults. When mine get to about 3 weeks they go to 1/2 inch wire. For chicks to 3 week olds I use pine shavings and sometimes grit.

Quote:
I really like your angled reflector that would be awesome for quail, my bobs always piled if I had over a doz. in the brooder. I think I might have gotten confused on sizes you have the same size I have used in the past that I thought was 1/4" worked great. BTW
yuckyuck.gif
lol

Last edited:
Quote:
I really like your angled reflector that would be awesome for quail, my bobs always piled if I had over a doz. in the brooder. I think I might have gotten confused on sizes you have the same size I have used in the past that I thought was 1/4" worked great. BTW
yuckyuck.gif
lol

Thanks. Yep, that's 1/2" wire spacing............and yes, it's their nature to pile when uncomfortable and/or frightened.

I'm sure those angles help reduce your losses, I lost an order of 100 bob chicks in 3 days due to piling in corners tried adjusting my lamps and everything they were just stressed and died off to fast for me to get things right. We turned around and got a dozen eggs from a family freind and hatched 8 and they did fine. I think when they get in those corners it makes it alot worse espeically if you have very many.

Back
Top Bottom