Hubby is going to kill me!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Mar 10, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I just placed another order with Metzer's... an embden pair and 3 more welsh harlequins! They will be a week younger than my 10 ducklings, will I be able to put them all in the same brooder or will I have to have two brooders?

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Be careful. Ducks imprint together within a couple days, any introduced after that may have to become their own "clique".

Watch them carefully to avoid any problems. [​IMG]

3. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    hmm, what if i did two brooders, one for the first and one for the second, and then moved a couple of the older ducklings each day into the brooder with the newbies. would that make integrating them easier?

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Just make sure you referee. Don't leave them alone to "figure it out". There may be some picking and fighting.

5. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    for sure! [​IMG]

6. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I would try and just keep an eye out to see how they do together.
    Last year I bought 2 Mallard ducklings that were male, 3 weeks later a snake got one and killed it. I went out a few days later and bought 3 lil mallard girls that were 2 days old. I put the drake in with the girls and he immediatly acted like a Mamma duck to them. I've had them all a year now and he still watches after his gals really well.

Michelle

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I was hatching weekly for months on end- and had to combine hatches in brooders very often. I would wait until the new babies were a few days old- eating and drinking well before combining them - but I have never had any problems with a weeks difference in age. Two or three weeks and the size difference is so great that the little ones could be easily trampled - but you should be ok to just have the one brooder.

8. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Here's a photo of my month old Drake with the baby girls in the brooder
    [​IMG]

Michelle

9. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    awe, thats too cute!