Hubby said no more chicks

My wife and I had moved to our current home back in 2014 and she told me that I could have 5 hens. This after my having as many as 142 chickens at our previous location. Well I currently have 20 bantam hens along with four bantam roosters to go along with 17 larger breed hens and 1 Black Australorp rooster. And now I really have the itch to get a few more... and I have always wanted geese, a donkey or two, maybe a milk cow...

My wife and I had moved to our current home back in 2014 and she told me that I could have 5 hens. This after my having as many as 142 chickens at our previous location. Well I currently have 20 bantam hens along with four bantam roosters to go along with 17 larger breed hens and 1 Black Australorp rooster. And now I really have the itch to get a few more... and I have always wanted geese, a donkey or two, maybe a milk cow...
My coop will be nice and full. I know my husband will build me something else should I need it. Geese would be pretty cool although, we do get wild geese every summer, mallards too. Our pond is quite big - I hope the wilds and domestic will work together. My son has always wanted goats (thanks to 4H) but animals are the last thing we need!!!

Geese are pretty cool! My American Buffs just resumed laying this week, and their eggs are GORGEOUS! It only takes one to make an omelet.

Animals are probably the last thing many of us need, but my miniature goats are the reason I bought this property and moved to the country. All of the original herd have since passed away, but I have refilled their pasture -- and because I NEVER know when enough is enough, I have Katahdin sheep now, too.

My husband found a home for my geese after they abandoned the pond and moved onto the porch. After a few weeks of cleaning the floor many times a day (using a snow shovel) and still slipping on the smelly droppings, I said goodbye to all 4 of them.

I got rid of all my quail(about 30+), all of my adult chickens(except for one roo and one game hen) and for what.... so I could buy some adult ducks and baby ducks and baby chicks. I am starting over, not because I have to but because I wanted two of my friends to experience all the joy that these animals have brought to my life. I came home yesterday to find one of my Cayuga males missing and one of my Cayuga females minus a wing. I can only assume a dog was to blame. I have planted a game camera to catch which one of the neighbor's dogs on camera perpetrated this. It was as if someone had punched me in the gut. This morning the one with the one wing was doing relatively well and the rest were well in the coop. I hope the bastard got his fill and does not return. I wish you folks luck with your flocks. I am a chicken addict and have made peace with it. I hope to own these feathered fowl for the rest of my life. Watching their antics and caring for them helps give my life, and my grandson's life additional purpose. God bless all of you, oops I wasn't supposed to mention religion in one of my posts, oh well sorry to anyone who was offended.....

It's so very sad about your Cayugas, and I hope your girl recovers .As a fellow chicken addict (who MAY also have a problem with ducks and geese), I am touched that you want to have your birds for the rest of your life.

I know people who get to take vacations whenever they want, don't have to traipse outdoors in frigid weather to break ice on water dishes and collect eggs, don't worry about too much summer heat in coops. Some of those people ask me why I don't just get rid of my birds and make life easier on myself. Like you, I find great purpose in taking care of them. And I am never offended when anyone offers me a blessing of any kind.

My best wishes to you and safety for your flock!

I got rid of all my quail(about 30+), all of my adult chickens(except for one roo and one game hen) and for what.... so I could buy some adult ducks and baby ducks and baby chicks. I am starting over, not because I have to but because I wanted two of my friends to experience all the joy that these animals have brought to my life. I came home yesterday to find one of my Cayuga males missing and one of my Cayuga females minus a wing. I can only assume a dog was to blame. I have planted a game camera to catch which one of the neighbor's dogs on camera perpetrated this. It was as if someone had punched me in the gut. This morning the one with the one wing was doing relatively well and the rest were well in the coop. I hope the bastard got his fill and does not return. I wish you folks luck with your flocks. I am a chicken addict and have made peace with it. I hope to own these feathered fowl for the rest of my life. Watching their antics and caring for them helps give my life, and my grandson's life additional purpose. God bless all of you, oops I wasn't supposed to mention religion in one of my posts, oh well sorry to anyone who was offended.....
I'm sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom