Hubby says no to moving them outside

If it's hot enough, they can go out as early as two weeks (might need a heat lamp on hand for the odd cooler night, though). If you're adding them to an existing adult flock, don't wait much longer than 5-6 weeks; I've found that chicks are more readily welcomed than adolescents. My last 4 hatches all went out at between 2 and 3 weeks, some in one group were as young as one week. No lamp, no problems (been in a heatwave since May.)

I put my 2 two week old orpingtons straight out to the coop in a rabbit hutch/brooder when I got them. daytime temps were 85-90 and nights were 65-75. I only used a heatlamp at night for less than two weeks.I dont think i really needed it that long, they werent really using it. During this time they could see the big girls and big girls could see them but not touch. I opened the door at about 4 weeks old to let them go in and out at will and have a safe spot to run away from the older birds. they could also get their own food and water in peace. they have done great. Now just the normal pecking order stuff. No brooder mess to deal with in my house either.

I noticed the orange rope tied around the trees in your coop. Is that for flapping/climbing?
Yes it is. If they happen to slide on the branch they can at least stop themselves from getting hurt. Sometimes I move that big branch around to where it is actually more horizontal then vertical. Changes up the enrichment for them. It’s also so I can tie up vegetables and let them hang. Things like broccoli…

Best indicator I know of as to when ready to go outside is by their feather growth. Winter or cooler climates in particular they MUST have complete covering of feathers. 3 week old chicks are def not old enough to go outside. Again depending on the climate where you live they should be under heat for 6 to 8 weeks. But even with the feathers they will need protection from older hens and predators to keep them safe, especially if you are not at home. So fully enclosed area/coop.

As soon as I received my 10 chicks (California Whites, theyre like Leghorns) in the mail from Tractor Supply, I put my chicks in above ground pen, ( About 3' off ground, 3'x2'). I put some hay in it, theyre water and feed and they did just fine. They grew feathers pretty, so I tested a couple in the big coop run with the big hens and they did well, so theyre all in in with the big chickens, now, and doing very well. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention, I received my 9 California Whites and one Cornish hen, on July 15, 2020. Its August 18, 2020, now and here's some photo's of the Whites hanging out with the big hens and one Rooster.

Attachments

• 20200818_113553.jpg
    20200818_113553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200818_113622.jpg
    20200818_113622.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200818_113556.jpg
    20200818_113556.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I need some advice please.

We’ve got 4, 3-week old chicks, and 2, 2 month (we’re guessing here as they were given to us but they’re about twice the size of the babies) old chicks that are in a separated cage inside our house.
Daily temps here are high 90’s during the day, low to mid 70’s at night.
I say they’re ready to be moved outside, he says no.
They can go outside, in the cage, on our concrete back porch or in the run with the bigger girls.
what do y’all think?
I need some advice please.

We’ve got 4, 3-week old chicks, and 2, 2 month (we’re guessing here as they were given to us but they’re about twice the size of the babies) old chicks that are in a separated cage inside our house.
Daily temps here are high 90’s during the day, low to mid 70’s at night.
I say they’re ready to be moved outside, he says no.
They can go outside, in the cage, on our concrete back porch or in the run with the bigger girls.
what do y’all think?
You would need to find a way to keep them cool if they are on concrete in 90 degree weather. Someone posted a photo of a little safety opening she made in a wire barrier between hens and little chicks. If the chicks felt threatened they could fit through the opening, but it wasn't large enough for the hens to follow them. Kind of like a panic room for the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom