Huddlebox

turbo13

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
Any suggestions re:confused:ddleboxes ? I have 3 hens in a insulated 6x12 coop. Their roost is at the rear.So far its been about 45/50 degs.in there,about 27/35 outside,not bad ,however it will be a lot colder soon.I was thinking of building a huddlebox around the roost,which is about 23'' wide and 35 '' off the floor.I could use a heater in the coop.but fires scare me and my breeds are cold hardy.Just want them cozy. thanks, any thoughts?

My hubby raises coturnix quail, and we were able to obtain some wire rabbit cages from someone who just wanted to get rid of them. They stack together and have trays that slide under each one to catch droppings in. Perfect. Except when cold weather comes, the birds are just sitting on cold metal wire, with cold air coming up under them. We have an average of 5 -6 birds per cage. So, I did what I guess you call huddle boxes, with cardboard trays that fit in the back of the cage, still leaving room for moving around. I line the tray with newspaper, put in some bedding, and that's it. I can just dump it into the trash every morning and replace. They love it, and all squeeze together in there every night. Funny thing is, I'm finding that they are also laying the eggs in them during the day. It's working great for the quail. I guess the only way you'd know if it's a good idea for your chooks is to try it. But I wouldn't be surrised if they lay eggs there too.

Sounds like a good idea to me, with only 3 birds in a coop that size. We built a temporary drop ceiling for our coop (R19 insulation in its panel) for winter time...just hung it this weekend. But we only have a 6x8. In a coop your size, a huddle box sounds much simpler. And you could wall mount it, since you said your roosts are along the back wall.

ETA...since your chickens won't be use to it, you'll probably have to put them up there for several evenings in a row...and you may need to add a chicken ramp up to the roost, depending on how much clearance there is...

Last edited:
Hi. I found a great huddlebox.I used a 18 gal plastic tote,turned it upside down,cut a hole on one end.I only have 3 hens,its a tight squeeze,but they sleep on top of each other anyway, used a bonge cord to hold it tight on a wide roost,filled bottom with pine shavings,and hay.Just did it this afternoon.waiting for dark to peek in and see if they use it. Betting they will use it,its supposed to snow and get down to 25 degrees, I would!. Well I lost the bet, kinda, the only one in the box was the EE, sitting on an egg, not hers.shes not laying yet. Tonight I peeked in and she in there sleeping. I think the egg belongs to the BO.I may get a larger box and try again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom