Huey and Dewey: young pekin drakes each need a good home NE FLorida/SE Georgia

ruthhope

Free Ranging
Aug 16, 2021
St Augustine, FL
I rescued 2 pekin drakes at the beginning of May 2022. I estimated that they were 6-9 months old: they were closely bonded together but also "neck wrestling" each trying to dominate the other.

These boys were abused before they were dumped, they both have very badly, and unnecessarily, clipped wings and will carry the marks until they next molt. They are frightened of people and they didn't know that they liked peas and cherry tomatoes. [They do!]

I have completed their quarantine. They are eating well, have gained weight and are no longer too thin. I am seeing improvement in that they no longer go into an absolute panic when they see me. I have them sleeping each in a dog crate, and in a temporary pen with a kiddie pool during the day. From this week, they are going into the pen in 6 hour shifts as I want to stop the neck wrestling which has resulted in loss of feathers down both ducks necks.

They might go together or just one as pet(s) to an all male flock; or individiually to join a flock of females.

I will deliver to a good home. I cannot keep them as I do not have the room, and while they are fostered with me temporarily, I cannot rescue and care for any further ducks. I am even wary of taking in ducklings -- of which there are many needing care at this time of year -- in case I still have the two pekins when the rescued ducklings are ready to move out of the brooder in my house to the pen in my back yard. My own flock of rescues is at capacity!

Attachments

• 20220507_152456.jpg
    20220507_152456.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220505_121253 1.jpg
    20220505_121253 1.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom