HUGE Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bethk98, Sep 19, 2013.

1. bethk98

bethk98 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    I bought 4 chickens from someone and one of them she told me was a 3 month olf Ameraucana. Well, that was in May and she hasn't laid a single egg and is HUGE. Not only is she huge, she has thick, feathery feet (legs). Her legs are three times as thick as the other two. (see pics)

Any ideas as to what this big girl is and also why she isn't laying? (Is there a way to tell the age of a chicken somehow?)

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You have a rooster there (see saddle feathers), and he actually looks like Buff Brahma .

3. bethk98

bethk98 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    SERIOUSLY!! Well, that would be why HE (Rose) haha isn't laying eggs. When will he get his comb? And starting crowing?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Buff brahma rooster. Brahmas are a "giant" breed, they're slow to mature and gain full weight. They've been known to not crow until 8 months or so. They also have a pea comb, so while they do get a comb, it's not as impressive as a big ol straight comb.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, don't think Rosario is going to be laying eggs anytime soon. He will be a really big pretty rooster though.
    http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brahma/BRKBrahma.html is the Feathersite page for Brahmas, they have pictures of adult buffs, so you can see what your boy will look like grown up.
    And, :welcome

6. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    It looks like a brahma to me too, but I am not so sure that it's a roo.

I have heard that depending on where you live some birds wont lay until next spring. Each breed does better in certain areas better (production wise) due to daylight weather and factors like that.

This bird doesn't particularly look like a 7 month old bird to me. I would compare pictures of her when you got her and compare it to other brahmas at various ages. (therefore killing two birds with one stone, by seeing if the lady's age estimate was correct and if she is a brahma.)

If she was a cockerel I would think she would be crowing by now.

Hope this helps,
    Mickey Lou 04

7. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Most definitely a rooster. Look at the long saddle feathers coming from the base of his tail. Although his comb isn't too red, his plumage says male. I'm not exactly sure about age either, but my Brahma cockerel (sexed at feedstore) is feathering out much more slowly than his sister (also a Brahma).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Sorry, this is incorrect, and I don't want you to get your hopes up that this is a late-maturing pullet. Yes, some pullets will go through their first winter without laying (those are culls at our house), but this is in no way a pullet. This boy has long, almost fully mature, saddle feathers. The saddle feathers don't usually come in on a rooster until he's close to sexual maturity, and this bird has a full set. I would say he's at least 7 months old, if not older. He may be a quiet boy, but he's all boy. Females simply DO NOT get those feathers.

1 person likes this.
  9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    X2. He is all boy!

10. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Good luck getting eggs out of that one! ;)

ROO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by