Huge area exposed ***UPDATE 1/20/14***PICTURES

Ellisa

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
I found tons of feathers all over the place....then a huge chunk of skin with feathers....I found the chicken and she has a silver dollar shape area that is bare and exposed.

What should I do?

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have some betadine, hydrogen peroxide, or other antiseptic cleaner, use it to clean the wound, then dry it, and apply Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment. Where is the wound located? How deep, or any punctures? Is she in shock or alert? Place her in a crate/cage with food and water. As long as the wound is open or reddened she should be separated. Tonight she may need to be kept warm if she is in shock.

Last edited:
Eggcessive, thank you for your advice.... I went to the store I had a hard time waiting and being patient... I was soooooo desperate...she is one of my favorite girls!!!

I bought Duramycin powder and she is drinking that :) I also bought Vetericyn Wound & Infection Spray and she was soooooo patient as I sprayed her and cut her feathers and removed feathers suck to the wound.

She is in my bathroom in a dog crate with straw, food and that Duramycin/water cocktail. She is eating and drinking

She seems like her happy self with this gaping hole. I am open and ready for any advice.

Before the clean up
after some cleaning
Final clean up--- I got all the feathers off and cleaned up, the best I could. She was a perfect angel.

PLEASE Help!!! Give me all the tips or advice you have I need them!!!!! What kind of extra food or supplements? Dressing, anything!!!! She is alert and well, but it's sooooo scary!!!!

In the last picture where the blood spots are , is that puncture wounds? Be sure and keep those ope for a couple of days. You may have to use a small amount of peroxide with a Q-Tip to probe them and get any crust off, for 2 days. Apply Neosporin ointment which will help keep them open--this may prevent an abscess from forming. After that, no more peroxide, and let it granulate in and heal. Give her plenty of protein, vitamins, some probiotics especially after the antibiotics. Duramycin is more for respiratory infections, but it may help to prevent a wound infection. No dressings, just antibiotic ointment.

Last edited:
It probably will heal in time so long as infection does not set in which is a very high risk if this was the result of a predator attack. As has already been said keeping it clean is the first consideration but if you know a good vet get her checked over and some antibiotics to cover her in the initial healing period.

Scrambled eggs, low sodium tuna, raw beef liver, and dry cat food will be good treats with lots of protein. If she should develpo a serious wound infection or abscess, you can get some cephalexin, baytril, or clavamox from your vet, or if that is not available, procaine penicillin G injection from the feedstore. Just ask for instructions.

Thank you!!! I think it is a puncture with that blood clot... I'm at work.... I will buy everything on break....hopefully she will be okay... I need to buy all that stuff... I don't want it to hurt her...I don't have a choice: (

Last edited:
I would just use the topical antibiotic ointment.
There is a very good chance she will have a full recovery. Chickens are resilient.

What kind of vitamins, probiotics, antibiotics?. Do I need to get these from a vet?

Back
Top Bottom