huge egg twins?

Double yolkers are very, very hard to hatch! Some people have done it and I think even 1 person has a video of them hatching. They nearly always die in the shell at some point in development.
sad.png
I never set double yolkers.

go to you tube, type in twins chicks hatching something like that you will see videos...I might have an EE blue egg that is a double...

I candled it and can see "2" shadows...so its been in the bator now since day 22nd...we'll see.

I have an EE that lays a double yolker now and then, she's a new layer. I opened one for breakfast and there was one yolk inside, normal size, and there was something else. It was about 3 inches long and about the size of my pinkie around, all coiled up like maybe an umbilical cord. Wierd! There was plenty of white in the egg but, only 1 yolk. I threw it out because I was just so un- nerved. I didn't take a picture, wished I had. If I get another one I will. Does anyone know what it was or seen anything like it?
hmm.png

I never thought twins could hatch, but this board taught me differently! Still, it is rare and hard. Personally, I'll probably never do it because I feel too bad for the chicks if they don't make it, but it is an interesting experiment. Someone on this board had a mystery hatch in which she had something like 15 eggs make it to hatching day, but when they had all hatched, she had one chick more than she had had eggs--so she may have had undiagnosed twins that hatched just fine.

And I have found that when my ducks lay a monster egg, it is usually a double yolker.
smile.png

I don't know about the white thing--sounds like an over-developed cord. Most eggs have a whitish coil at the top of the yolk that is slightly visible if you look closely--if it were overdeveloped it would be kind of freaky looking.

i went to my dads coop oneday and there was one egg and that was it and about 22 days later there was one egg shell and two chicks it was amazing i would never think it was possable but it is

Back
Top Bottom