Huge eggs

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
I know that a hen should only produce one egg a day, but how about double yolkers? I would think that would be every other day at best. I have two white leghorn hens. They each lay one egg a day. They each lay a double yolker about every third day and occasionally 2 days in a row. I know the eggs belong to these girls because they are my only white egg layers. They are about 5 1/2 months old. My only other recent double yolker is from a young sexlink of the same age (that one was a brown egg). I'm not complaining. I was just wondering if this is common.

All I have laying right now are EEs and Ameraucanas. The only double yolkers I ever get are from one EE; she lays a 4+ ouncer once every few months, and Jumbos in between. Must be a Leghorn thing!

its more common with hybrid chickens. mainly leghorns and red and black sex links.most of my red sex links lay 4oz+ eggs and LOTS of jumbos and soon all will be laying jumbos bec as the hens get bigger and older, their eggs get bigger, the only problem with "oversized" eggs is the hens that lay them are far more prone to egg binding.

Back
Top Bottom