Huge hawk has been hanging in my yard for 3 days

deedra11

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
Hi I live in a neighborhood in Florida, and there has been this really big hawk hanging around our yard for 3 days. Is it after my chickens? I have 2 silkie's and 2 barred rock hens. Any advice on what to do?

Hawks will see an opportunity to kill a chicken when they see free range chickens as an open buffet. Silkies are especially the targets for most hawks.

Quote:
Sorry to say this to you but a hawk doesn't know the difference between breeds. You must be kidding, right?

You are going to have to bite the bullet and finish your coop with a lid. You need to get chicken cloth or some kind of metal cover for your run to protect your kids. I know the idea thing is to let them out in the morning and call them to put up at night in a fantasy story, in real life they either get killed, injured or maimed if you do not take proper precautions. Good luck to you

well there isn't much to do about that but I think I read somewhere that hawks don't like owls...so maybe try putting one of those owl dummies up where the hawk can see it? And I would keep my chickens in a pen with a roof or top and wait maybe a week or two until you don't see the hawk anymore...but still be on the lookout for them. And yes I agree that a silkie is very vulnerable to hawks......

We have 5 chickens. 2 BO, 1, BPR, and 2 EE's. Not small birds! They were all pecking around by my kids playhouse and a large hawk came down and corralled all 5 with its wings between itself and the playhouse. Thankfully my daughter was out there and scared it away before it could do any damage. so yes the hawk will definitely go after your hens. especially the silkies. We are in the process of building a bigger run now!

I thought my broody momma was a bad mommy losing her babies, until this morning when the hawk showed its self after it flew in and stole the last blue marans baby I had. We are looking at netting to cover our run, its too big to put a roof on. Does anyone know if it is illegal to kill a hawk, in Ohio if it is eating your birds?

You can shoot it if it get some of your chickens . The law said if wild animal eat your pets then you have a right to shoot it.

Last edited:
I think the comment about the silkies is because of all their facial feathers they can't see as well. So they are less likely to see what's coming and run for cover. That has been my experience with silkies and hawks anyway. I have more than one breed of bantam, but in my experiences the hawk gets the silkies most of the time. I guess they are just easier prey and don't react quickly enough to get away.

To Northeast Georgia 14: Please read the post in this section regarding the killing of hawks and other migratory birds. It is a crime! Your recommendation to the OP to shot the hawk is bad advise.

Back
Top Bottom