Huge hawks

I am so so sorry you lost your dear bird!! Especially in such a horrific way. :(

Don't apologize for the length, it is definitely helpful as I never would have even thought of that! I am sorry it had to be.learned in such a harsh way though. :(

Hawks seem terrible though. So many.

Thank you. I am better today. It was just gut wrenching. I mean, I know they all die and we eat chicken for food. But IF we decide to do meat birds at a later time, I won't be making them pets and they will be killed as humanely as possible.

The reason it was so hard on me was because of the suffering. I hated that. That is what hurts me more. It's also why I stopped eating anything but pasture raised livestock as much as possible.

I learned the lesson as well that it doesn't matter where you live. You'd think being next to a busy road and with power lines across the yard that the hawks would go elsewhere. I got complacent.

So I will be planning a different strategy. For now, until that particular hawk moves on, they are staying in the run for the week. It's good for them anyway. To learn to get along for a few days in close quarters. They all seem do be doing better as well.

The hawk came back yesterday. The girls were inside so they were safe, but he sat on the tree branch terrorizing them. I don't hate the hawk, it's his nature and I understand it.

I actually have video of him I may post on youtube if I can figure out how to edit out my cussing at him...lol.

No problem and sorry I didn't reply sooner. :( but yeah, that makes sense.

I can definitely understand that, it makes sense the suffering part is the worst. Would be for most I think.

And you know, it's completely normal to be upset about it. If it had been a cat or a dog, people wouldn't think twice about being upset or wonder why someone is upset. Being a chicken (or a fish or a snake or a rodent or any other "unconventional" pet) doesn't make it any different. It was a trafic and traumatic event.

That is sort of weird the hawks chose there though. They're supposed to like.open fields. At least red tails are. Coopers I've heard hunt in the woods.

That seems like a great strategy though!! Hopefully it leaves.

That's so weird he's terrorizing them thougg. :( i understand needing food but terrorizing them is a bit weird.

You should post it lol

My heart bleeds for you and your husband! I am so sorry! Our Looloo was dead before my husband found her with the hawk. But you have articulated the most painful thing about the event: knowing what she went through before she died. I really can hardly stand it. I hope that neither you nor I (nor anyone else, though that's not very realistic, I guess) have to face such a thing again. I wish your girls long, safe lives!

Back
Top Bottom