Huge Leg Growths - Updated pics

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
Okay, folks ... this handsome fella came in a dog kennel with 12 battered hens from a VERY bad home. All I really know about them is that he's approx. 2 years old, and was abandoned at a rental house of one of my egg customer's sister's.

Now, I've spent a good deal of time observing him. He doesn't seem to be in pain. He walks around, scratches fine, runs, all normal chicken stuff. The only thing that I think is "abnormal" about him is that he doesn't roost on the poles at night, he beds down in the hay. There has to be some kind of discomfort there, I mean sheesh.

Check these ghastly things out:
1104081105a.jpg

Here's a shot of the whole roo:
1104081105b.jpg

So, before you ask, yes, he's isolated from my flock, as are the hens he was brought with.

The legs on the hens he's lived with are all fine. No leg growths, no scales, but a couple have SERIOUS bumblefoot.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? I was thinking scaly leg mites, but a web search didn't show anything like this.

Thanks in advance-
Em

Last edited:
I can try to get another pic tomorrow. He's a gentle soul. As you can see, he's MUCH more concerned with his personal dish of scratch than the crazy chicken lady snapping pictures of his legs.

Em

Could be a really bad case of scaly leg. Does it feel like there is flesh behind it? Or just a big scab?

Looks like a severe case of scaly leg mites. I would treat with ivermectin and also get some tea tree oil to put on his legs firstly to soften them up and loosen up those crusts enough for you to help remove them (the tea tree will stop any bacterial/fungal growth, which vaseline would possibly encourage with such a bad case). Once you have got those crusts off and legs are looking a bit better you can use vaseline.

Hi!

I am not an expert here but I think that it could be scaly leg mite. If the poor guy would be mine I would start rubbing Vaseline to his legs as often as I could. I would also give him Ivermectin. I used 0.2 mg/ kg orally. You have to dilute the Ivomec.

I have also learned that DE could help because it mechanically kills the mites (crushes their scales).

I am glad that he otherwise looks pretty good. His legs may never get normal though.

Kanat

Back
Top Bottom