Rooster with bumblefoot not standing up

barkingdoginn

Chirping
Mar 9, 2022
My rooster is almost 2, on Wednesday I went to tuck them in and he was in the nest box laying on his side. He seemed like he wasn’t able to use his legs well and was pretty wobbly on them so I brought him inside. Later on that night we see hard black spots on the bottom of both his feet, one like 3 mm wide and one maybe 7 mm wide so concluded he has bumblefoot. The next day we started Epson salt soaks a few times a day, the scab appeared to be getting softer and then the following day (yesterday) we removed some / most of the hard scab on his foot. From Wednesday until today he’s not standing up at all, he’s able to curl his feet and can kick them out fine when I hold him. When he sits he seems to lose his balance and flops to one side. I wasn’t able to see or feel anything else out of sorts on this legs and he had no problem with me moving them around. Also he is very alert eating and drinking fine.

The things I am wondering about are - is it likely that the cause of his lameness is just bumblefoot or something else and just a coincidence it happened at the same time? The scab plug things seem fairly small in comparison to other photos on line and he’s not using his legs at all. He was fine and mobile the day before we found him limp. If the lameness is caused by bumblefoot - once we remove the hard stuff and treat it and he heals up would his mobility come back?

Thank you!! Here is a pic of the foot

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpeg
    IMG_2340.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 47
The picture of his foot posted does not look inflamed and swollen or that painful. Did you just treat the worse foot? I have a feeling that something else is going on. Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? Do you have other roosters who may have hurt him? I would start giving him some human vitamin B complex 1/4-1/2 tablet daily crushed in his food or given orally. Confine him to a wire dog crate or pen with food and water, and force him to rest, but observe his behavior. Have you ever seen Mareks disease or any other problems in your flock?

We have another rooster who he’s pretty ok with, this guy is smaller and definitely not an instigator and neither is the other guy. the pic of the foot was the worse of the two. We added some new hens about 4 months ago. We now have him inside resting. No I haven’t seen that disease before with my chickens and they haven’t had any other issues. It seemed so strange because he was fine earlier this week and now can barely sit up. Thank you I will start with that vitamin!

IMG_2365.jpeg

Made him a little sling so he can relax and take a load off. So far he’s still the same can’t really sit up on his own or stand, he was able to curl his toes up better today on his more limp leg and eating / drinking fine. Will just let him relax and hopefully see if he gets more mobile. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Just an update - he is about the same still can’t sit up or use his legs to get around. One leg is very clearly more active than the other, when he’s in his sling he can push on the ground with it. The leg that had the “larger” of the bumblefoot scabs has little mobility, kind of just hangs out. We started the vitamin b yesterday incase that was the issue. I am thinking possibly maybe injury somehow since one leg is clearly more mobile. He doesn’t seem to care when I move his bad leg around, doesn’t freak out or anything. He can move his toes on the worse leg. Also both legs don’t feel or look different.

Back
Top Bottom