Bumblefoot Issue - Taking too long to resolve

KoolChicken

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2024
I have an 18 month old chicken with Bumblefoot on both feet. I have been soaking with Epsom salt with using prid and honey everyday for 2.5 months. The one foot went way down in swelling after I attempted to find the kernels which I did NOT find on either foot. I did not cut in but pushed and was able to get a bunch of yuck out. The scabs come back but NO kernel is ever found nor does it feel hard. She is not showing any lameness. She actually loves the attention. After the second attempt at removing the bumbles we had used Amoxicilin for 5 days and now stopped because I did not see harm nor help with the antibiotics. I see 2 more black spots which now make 2 on each foot which is why I started the antibiotics. I was planning to attempt another removal tomorrow. I worry about how long this has taken and do not know what else to try. I guess if the attempt doesn't work I should use Penicilin? I have also used a Bumblefoot Tincture , noesporin, vetricyn and betadine flush. I have been doing as much as I know to help her.

I might just be too anxious to fix her. I have seen battles with Bumblefoot take a year.. I don't want that though...

Last edited:
we had used Amoxicilin for 5 days and now stopped because I did not see harm nor help with the antibiotics.
You cannot see at the microscopic level where they are working.. and not giving them long enough, *possibly* not in the correct dosage.. etc etc.. which is exactly how antibiotic resistance happens.

Have you considered getting veterinary help? Or where are you getting your dosage information from and can you post it for review? No rudeness intended here, I can see you are only trying to help your bird.. and I'm also trying to help you do that.

The black spot may be scabs where the "gunk" came out from, are you able to post pics? If the scab becomes to big it will form a "kernel" of sorts.. but lets see.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom