huge painful lump on foot - please help!!

Quote:
Of course I'm in Canada and I can't get anything cool like that here...

I'm online now trying to find a local equivalent - oh, the heartache!!

There used to be a really great thread with full instruction and photos. I haven't been able to find it... will keep looking.

You do have to cut it, remove the scab, soak, massage, squeeze and get the core and cheesey gunk out of the wound. Once all the stuff is out, fill with neosporin and bandage with vet wrap.

D

OK I ordered a packet of Neocide 3 from http://www.blueiriswatergardens.com/, hope it arrives quickly...

I will start soaking Blossom's foot in epsom salts twice a day until the medication arrives - I don't have the stomach nor the skills and equipment to slice and dice her foot, plus I am leaving on Sunday for 3 days and hubby has his hands full, he won't want to take care of her - oh, what bad timing!!

Thanks so much everyone, you've been a blessing!

Well, I am making good progress with my hen's foot. After tonight's Epsom salt soak followed by chlorhexidine soak (chlorhexidine is available here in feed stores), I was able to gently pull the scab off, with some solid looking stuff attached to it. Left a cavity in the foot that looks pretty clean. I dribbled a bit of the chlorhexidine solution in the cavity. Will soak again in the a.m. I did leave the hen in the soaking tub for a good, long time tonight. Got busy with some other stuff and she probably was in there for an hour total.

Technodoll and verlaj - that black spot in the center of the abcess is the indicator of bumblefoot. That scab when removed with that solid plug verlaj talked about is the infection itself. That plug and all infections must be removed, drained and the cavity cleaned...then packed it with a triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliver, wrap the foot to keep it clean and dry...check the foot daily, repack and wrap.

There is a certain way to cut that plug out...all the soaks in the world will not get rid of this....

I will PM speckledhen and direct her to this thread to explain how to cut that out. she has one hen that has recurring problems with this and she knows exactly how to cut into it and remove it.

cetawin - Have you read the posts on using Tricide Neo soaks? Secondly, after several long soaks yesterday (Epson salts, then cycloheximide), a plug DID come out when I peeled off the scab which was softened by the soaking. It was attached to the inside of the scab, and left a cavity in the foot pad. I squeezed the pad to see if something else was coming out - nothing. She's in the soak again this morning, and being kept confined on clean bedding so she doesn't get dirt up in it. I'll let you know what happens. The Tricide Neo will not arrive for a couple of days, and until then, I will keep up the conservative approach.

I have had bumblefoot come back if you don't get all the gunk out. I made the mistake of thinking I got it all but in fact the infection was not only under her foot but on top of her foot between her toes as well so I had to lance it and get the hard rubbery mass out. I soaked the hens foot in warm epsom salt/betadine made to look like a weak tea in color for 15-20 minutes before and after removing the plug(s) I continued to soak her foot every day for a week and changing bandages everyday as well as repacking the open cavity with neosporin. I wrapped her foot in gauze then went over it in vetwrap keeping her in a dry clean environment. It was a pain in the rear to get it all out but I did.... only to have it come back a few months later. Ruth had detailed instructions on how to do the surgery yourself. It's actually really easy and if you lay the chicken on their side and put a towel over their head they just lay there while you work on them. I will try to find that thread, I think thats the one with pics too.

I read in backyard poultry mag (read never tried this so Im not sure if it will work) that for bumble foot you can take a peice of raw bacorn, wrap it around the chickens foot, secure it on with an ace bandage or vetwrap or whatever, and leave it on until the bacon spoils and the wrap falls off on its own. Once again, Im not saying this would work, It was something I read and luckily I have never had to deal with a case of bumble foot.

Ick! sounds disgusting lol. I tried to find that thread on the bumblefoot surgery but had no luck trying to hunt it down. I thought they made it a sticky but I guess I was wrong
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom