huge painful lump on foot - please help!!

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
My poor sweet silkie hen Blossom has been limping for 4 days now.

I'M SO STUPID - I though she had injured her leg since she started limping from one day to the next, so I never thought to look under her foot until tonight
he.gif

She has a huge, hard lump on the pad of her foot that seems quite painful:

DSC_00023.jpg

What on earth could this be? Did she step on something? Did she get stung?

The lump feels hard and full, not squishy.

It does not smell or seep any fluids.

It is only on one foot and happened quite suddenly.

What should I do? She can't walk and can't roost - please help!

fl.gif

wow, if you have access to a vet for consulting I would ask the vet. If not I believe I would sterilize the area and then lance it and soak it and then put some clean gauze on it and keep her in a cage to keep it clean and keep a very close eye on it. Sorry, that was a very long sentence. LOL
Check out the above poster's suggestion first!

Last edited:
OK thanks - yep did some research and it looks exactly like bumblefoot
sad.png

There isn't a single vet within hundreds of miles who will operate on (or even see) a chicken - how do I fix this, at home?

I don,t want the infection to spread!

Help!

(and... thank you...)

Check this out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303829

I discovered this morning that one of my hens has bumblefoot. Found the above link this a.m. - ordered Tricide Neo today from <ponddoc.com>/

In the meantime, I soaked the foot for 10-15 minutes in warm Epsom salt solution (made the solution in the bottom of our laundry room tub, about 1 inch deep, put the hen in and a grate on top of the tub), then drained the tub and repeated soaking, but in a chlorhexidine solution for the second soak. Kept her separated from the other chickens today. The foot looks a lot better now. Repeating the soaks twice daily at least until the Tricide Neo arrives.

Good luck!

Quote:
But she doesn't treat the bumblefoot: aren't you supposed to drain the abscess of pus and then have the hen on antibiotics? Do they need stitches? How do you cut the thing open without causing them any pain?

I leave for vacation in 3 days and hubby is not capable of doing any medical work on the chickens -

barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom