huge painful lump on foot - please help!!

Quote:
No way would I do that. Gee whiz. Sounds completely unsanitary. You'd be better off packing the wound with gauze soaked in saline, which may be why the recommend the bacon, but no way would I put raw meat on the bird's foot and let it walk around.

You need an exacto knife like you would find in the craft section or hardward section. It has a pointed razor blade and works well as a scalpel. You put the knife in a tiny bit at an angle (maybe 60 degree angle) and cut around the edge of the scab, then use tweezers to slowly pull that out. Most of the time, some solidified infection comes out with it. Then you squeeze or use the knife to get out anything that looks like solid white cheese, soak the foot in an epsom salts or weak betadine solution, pack the hole with antibiotic ointment, cover with a piece of gauze pad, then wrap with a bandage (we cut up soft old t-shirts or sweats in strips---vetwrap tends to tighten up over time and can cut off circulation, especially if it gets wet). Leave the bandage on and keep the bird in a cage with lots of soft bedding so he can't roam everywhere. In two or three days, or sooner if the bandage shifts and is no longer covering the wound, remove the bandage and put on new antibiotic ointment and bandage again. No stitches needed. No cutting on the top of the foot if the pad is the issue.

It's just something you have to do and you'll understand it better when you get into it. Wrap the bird's body in a towel to keep it from flapping. I can't explain it any better than this. You may have a recurring issue or you may fix it the first time. Make sure any roosts are sanded smooth and all nails and surfaces aren't rough in the coop. If the bird free ranges, it will probably get it again, but there's not much you can do if property is like mine, with sandstone sticking out of the ground and briars all over the place.

Oral antibiotics have limited use with bumblefoot. I never use them for it anymore. Getting the infection out and treating topically does just as well or better.

speckledhen, won't the surgery be extremely painful to the hen?
sad.png

i have some skin-numbing cream here, should i put some on her foot first?

my poor baby!

No, do not use skin numbing cream! Benzocaine/lidocaine can be fatal to birds! Yes, it will pain her some, but benzocaine may kill her. Trust me, she is already hurting from the bumblefoot and if you don't get that out, it can go systemic and kill her.

OK I did the surgery and I think it went well...

Soaked Blossom's foot in a strong solution of Epsom salts for about 5 minutes.

Scrubbed the mass gently with a toothbrush to loosen the dark plug, then soaked her foot in chlorhexadrine for about 5 minutes.

DH held her on her side, wrapped in a towel, while I cut out the brown plug with an exacto knife (box cutter). Poor baby struggled a bit since it must have been very painful
sad.png
I pulled the plug out with sharp tweezers and there was very little blood, thankfully. The whole thing looked like an acorn, a bit gross but there was no smell.

I tried to squeeze gunk out of the hole and scrape stuff out but it was like transparent jelly that was attached to her foot so I let it alone.

Cleaned the wound with a sterile gauze pad soaked in chorhexadrine, slathered on some Neosporin, added another dry sterile gauze, wrapped her foot in what looks like vet wrap but isn't since it doesn't stick to itself and secured with thin strips of duct tape.

So far so good... She hasn't pecked the bandage off and it's been 4 hours now. She's hobbling on her injured foot but eating and drinking, eyes are bright and she seems in good spirits. She even got on her roost for the night!

Tomorrow I will remove the bandage, soak her foot again in epsom salts and cholhexadrine, clean out the wound if I can, add more neosporin and a new bandage. I don't want to risk any festering or infection so I want to check and see what's going on in there.

How long should I keep up the soaks and bandages, do you think?

Quote:
Blossom is doing great, in fine spirits - thanks for asking!

However her foot bump still looks and feels the same (big and hard), the place where the brown plug used to be is just a red hole with jelly-like substance in it.

I soaked her foot again (epsom salts then chlorhexdrine), tried to squeeze out any pus but nothing came out, so I dried her foot with sterile gauze, trimmed off her foot feathers (she's a silkie), added neosporin and a new bandage secured with duct tape to make it waterproof.

she's off free-ranging now, as all she did in her crate was pace and jump up and down off her roost very impatiently. She's better off in the cool green grass, waddling along... she's still limping of course but it's noticeably less than it was before the surgery.

Tomorrow we repeat... hopefully the swelling and infection will go down at some point??

Back
Top Bottom