Help.. broken foot?

Mhornyak

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2022
Hi all,
Went to check on the chickens earlier and noticed my sapphire gem hopping on one foot and some bleeding. Didn't see anything on her trunk.

Her right foot has a tiny laceration on the top, her foot joint and pad look very swollen. For now, i have cleaned and gently wrapped her foot as she was panting very heavily when i first saw her.

I have her inside, in a crate, drinking fluids and resting. Any thoughts/ tips?

Attachments

• 20240417_163041.jpg
    20240417_163041.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240417_163054.jpg
    20240417_163054.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240417_163103.jpg
    20240417_163103.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 7
I would soak that foot daily in epsom salts, then dry it well and apply some plain triple antibiotic ointment or plain neosporin. If you can see any pus in there, try to squeeze it out (chicken pus is firm, cheesy like and usually white or cream colored). Sometimes you can feel it in there, as harder lumps. There is a spot/line on the bottom of the foot that I can't tell if is a scab or if it's just dirt. That may respond to topical treatment, so I would apply the ointment there also. Keep an eye on it, hopefully swelling will start to go down and it will start looking better. It looks bruised more than anything, so try to prevent infection. She may have gotten a foot hung up on fence or something and tore it trying to get loose.

I would soak that foot daily in epsom salts, then dry it well and apply some plain triple antibiotic ointment or plain neosporin. If you can see any pus in there, try to squeeze it out (chicken pus is firm, cheesy like and usually white or cream colored). Sometimes you can feel it in there, as harder lumps. There is a spot/line on the bottom of the foot that I can't tell if is a scab or if it's just dirt. That may respond to topical treatment, so I would apply the ointment there also. Keep an eye on it, hopefully swelling will start to go down and it will start looking better. It looks bruised more than anything, so try to prevent infection. She may have gotten a foot hung up on fence or something and tore it trying to get loose.
I believe it's just dirt. I'm going to do a soak later and clean up some more.. of course it happened during my work day :(

Back
Top Bottom