broken claw and bumble

Savannahbeau

Hatching
Jul 11, 2022
I had my first medical scare tonight and I was freaking out. I’ve had my chickens for almost a year now. It’s just a small backyard flock of 4 hens. I went to check on them and I see they are all roosting and there is just tons of blood on the roost bar. I could see that one of my hens feet was bleeding pretty good. I was so worried about her bleeding out. I got her out of the coop and took her in to get the bleeding stopped and get her washed off. It seems like she somehow broke her nail but the bleeding stopped. I was just so surprised by the amount of blood.

I went back to check on her an hour or so later and it bled again and then stopped. Unfortunately my stop bleeding powder solidified and went bad. She’s now holding up that foot. I guess it’s painful. What else can I do?

On a related note, when I was cleaning her feet the first time I saw what appeared to be a bumble but it popped right off. It was like the size of a small black peppercorn. She had 1 on each foot but they came off with little touching. The skin looked pretty healed underneath. There was no swelling of the pad at all and she was never limping (till the broken claw). Everything I’ve see in bumblefoot shows the area looking really swollen and there being a big gaping hole underneath. Do I need to wrap it if I don’t see any wound?

Can you post a few pictures of her injury and the foot pads?
Took me a couple a days cause of the snow to get to out there. She was walking fine next day and doesn’t seem to be acting any differently. I did get some pictures of her footpads. I think the nail that was bleeding is the lower one in the picture on the right but I’m not 100% sure. I did not observe any excessive swelling of her foot pad.

Attachments

• IMG_2756.jpeg
    IMG_2756.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom