Huge watery crop help!!

but her crop still has stuff in it it’s smaller. I thought I had to take food and water away. Also will I have to tube fed her the meds. I read the article and didn’t see how to give them to her.

Go ahead and tube the meds into her. You were probably doing it correctly with your other chicken and it was merely coincidental it died. Tubing is safer than just syringing the meds because the tube is inserted directly into the crop. Check your technique against the photo below.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Given the experience with sour crop that I have accumulated over the years, I've arrived at the conclusion that it's not necessary, and probably harmful, to withhold food and water from a crop patient. They normally self-regulate the amount of food and water they will take in, and withholding food deprives them of deciding to start to eat again once the meds take hold and they're starting to feel better.

In the picture it is just a syringe do I need the foot long tube to go I to her? I know I need to be on the left side of the mouth. Also how much do I give her if I would use the vaginal yeast cream? Should I let her in the yard?

I thought you said you have tube fed before. I will assume not.

The tube and syringe kit can be obtained from your vet for just a few dollars if you are in the US. Or you can make your own using a friend's cast off oxygen tubing or buy aquarium tubing. You would need a syringe to fit into the tubing. I measured my tubing against the crop of my chicken from beak to bottom of the crop, and cut it to that length. It would measure around six or seven inches long. You have much more control over a short tube than a foot long tube.

Inserting the tube, I guide it along the chicken's right side of their mouth, going a bit under the tongue to avoid it getting misdirected into the airway located at the center of the throat behind the tongue. If you accidentlally hit the airway, your chicken will cough. If the chicken coughs or chokes, you have the tube in the wrong hole. There is no danger of aspiration until you start squirting stuff through the tube. Once the tube is properly inserted into the esophagus, the chicken will calm down and is quiet.

I have tube fed before but my chicken died only after a few successful feedings. I don’t know what I did wrong the tube looked like it was in the right spot.

Are you a resident of the USA? If you are, go to Walmart and trot down the women's hygiene products aisle and grab a tube of Equate seven-day miconazole vaginal yeast cream. Pay for it, of course.

Measure out about half an inch of cream on your finger and pry open your chicken's beak. Wipe off the cream inside her mouth. It has a neutral taste so she will swallow it willingly. Do this twice a day for seven days. No danger of choking or killing your chicken.

thank you so much for your help. I would have spent so much money and school going to the vet. (No chicken vet is close or open on Sunday and it is half an hour away)

Back
Top Bottom