Human failure = losses (long)

From the way the husband is handling the situation, amazondoc may be onto something about the mental state of the wife. Then again, some people are just irresponsible and without empathy for animals and we just can't relate to that type of person, so we try to come up with explanations as to why they would be that way.

Mangled, I'm very sorry for your loss. Sounds like you are dealing with someone who has some serious issues. Behavior like that is certainly not considered "normal", especially her reaction upon being confronted. It's very unfortunate that you had to find out in this fashion. None the less having "issues" may be a reason, but not an excuse. Sort of like a drug addiction is not excuse for being a backsidehole. Fortunately her husband seems to be level headed and is trying to clean up the mess and it is probably not the first time. I hope he gets some support from somewhere. I think you have handled the situation very well. You have every right to be angry and frankly it seems you have shown considerable restraint when dealing with the negligent care taker. Others would not have been as rational. Yes I think that $550 ($250 +$300 vet) is a low ball figure, but it is not really about the money is it? Given the husbands interaction with you, it should be appropriate, just enough to make a point, but not enough to REALLY burden the rest of the family. As far as having her charged with neglect and cruelty, I'd check with state and local laws/code first. It could be, and I really don't know, that the owner is ultimately responsible. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Honestly, I don't know, but I would look first. I'm not sure it would really dive the point home any better, and just put her family through hell. That is something only you can decide, you are the one dealing with them. If I was in the situation, I,d do it in a heartbeat if I thought the message wasn't getting through. Again you are the only one in the position to make the call. As far as having her come out and apologize, that is a tough one. I see your point. Talk to the husband, if it might help prevent something like this happen in the future with someone else... If you are just to angry though, I would not hold it against you to say "hell no". Best of luck and healing.

Miltonchix: I agree, but I don't think anyone wanted to say the perpetrator should be murdered, just that we might be better off if they wheren,t in our gene pool to start with
wink.png

Thanks, everyone.

As for legal charges, I'm just not going to go that route. I'm getting a lot of second hand talk from people around town that she does have some issues, and from talking with the husband, I just think doing more would be punishing the family.

She did call and profes outrage at being removed from the board of the non-profit. She actually asked me what she was supposed to do with her spare time.
roll.png
I advised her politely to not take anymore petsitting jobs.

She still has offered no apologies. She wanted to know how we could work through this. I told her my confidence was forever shaken with her, and in good conscience could no longer let her minister to the parents we support.

She ended the phone call with a hang-up, so who knows where it will go now.

The husband did sign an IOU for $250, and although I'm not sure how legally binding it is, I will be running it up to the attorney in the AM for an opinion.

We had a hen go down in the yard this AM. She seemed fine, but there she was, dead in the yard. So, another one of my good layers is gone. This was one of my SLW hens, she was only about 9 months old.

Anyway, thanks again for the support. I did tell her that the other 10,000 members of my chicken website thought she was a bloody irresponsible fool, also.

Em

Quote:
Certainly it is binding. Get her on Judge Judy LOL for all to see what she did! I had no idea you could get somoene off the board that quick! I love your advice to her! No more pet sitting! Almost spit my yogurt!
lau.gif
I am really sorry for all your trouble. If you are nearby maybe I can get my girls on some eggs for you or get some to you. I am so sorry for ALL your losses. I will pray for you and your family. I really thought the post about your son blaming himself was insightful. I would not have thought about that right off. I hope you all heal quickly.
:aww
Deb

honestly,
if that happened to me i dont think i would be able to exercise self control. i would def make her come over and if she said somthing to the fact that i was a terrible person i would have unfortunately against my better judgement punched her right in the face. but then again that's a bad idea. sorry that just made me so made. i can't imagine. i'm so so sorry for your losses!

Yep, if ever a case was for Judge Judy, this is it. That woman sounds SO very selfish. "How cruel you are to make me see these dead animals.....How can you ask for your money back......How can you remove me from the organization.....Now what am I gonna do with my spare time.....Aren't I entitled to some fun and to go to a carnival?" I think the husband is doing his level best to fix it with you. He and that son of his sound like good eggs, but I would'nt be giving her so much as the time of day ever again.

She actually asked me what she was supposed to do with her spare time. I advised her politely to not take anymore petsitting jobs.

gig.gif

I have too much love for animals to let a giant bottom take care of my animals...
but I would'nt be giving her so much as the time of day ever again.

I wouldn't tinkle on her if she was on fire.​

Back
Top Bottom