human urine as a deterrent

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nursemeh, Jul 13, 2010.

1. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    Just wanted to let ppl know that we have been using human urine as a predator(racoon, skunk,opossum) deterrent and it seems to be working. Last night there was some critter scurrying around on/under my deck(somebody had left a food container out there, but the chicken coop area wasn't visited.

I know there is nothing like a good solid fence, etc, but I also like the idea of potential predators staying far away from my coop/run. We first used it when we went out of town for a week and we've just been using it pretty regularly since then, especially after heavy rains. My husband just "spreads" the stuff around the perimeter.

I was also wondering, if anyone else uses this regularly at all?

I figured it can't hurt!

Mary

2. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    So DH and DS going in the woods is a good thing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Ya know .. DH has urinated around my chicken pen before we even had the house built on the property .. it was just "where he went" ...

then I moved the chicken pen about 50 yards back ...

Can't keep the freakin' coons away now ..

I told DH he needs to take a 5o yard walk when he needs to pee ... lol

5. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    I've sure heard of it but haven't tried it. My chicken area has the buried wire and I check regular for any digging - so far, so good. But extra protection would not hurt. Does human urine discourage mice? Does anyone know or have experience?

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    There was a post about it a while back and it does not work.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I myself whizz behind the coop and the only problem I "had" was a feral cat, no foxes coons or other furry preds. But I don't put much stock in the premis. It doesn't bother deer so why would it bother other wildlife?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

this just sounds gross no offense but pee mixed with chicken smell? Not good

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    don't work at my place here is a female marking my mark ,this was a test to see if it would deture wildlife, i also have a photo of our local wolf doing the same thing on my mark.

[​IMG]

10. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    It might work for a little while, but animals are smart. If they realize that there wouldn't be any consequences from the "wierd smelling creature that's peeig behind that building" then they'll come back. I'd shoot/trap one and then pee around, but leave the carcass nearby, maybe even pee on it. That'll work a little better, but you'll have to keep it up for a little while. The better bet would be to just shoot/trap them. BTW I pee on my compost pile a few times throught the spring/summer/fall, and I'm in town. Granted the compost pile is behind the garden shed and hidden from the view of any neighbors by a bit of fencing and shrubbery. It makes the stuff compost better, and prevents me from tracking dirt from under my shoes throughout the house just so I have to go pee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by