human urine as a deterrent

nursemeh

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Conroe, Texas
Just wanted to let ppl know that we have been using human urine as a predator(racoon, skunk,opossum) deterrent and it seems to be working. Last night there was some critter scurrying around on/under my deck(somebody had left a food container out there, but the chicken coop area wasn't visited.

I know there is nothing like a good solid fence, etc, but I also like the idea of potential predators staying far away from my coop/run. We first used it when we went out of town for a week and we've just been using it pretty regularly since then, especially after heavy rains. My husband just "spreads" the stuff around the perimeter.

I was also wondering, if anyone else uses this regularly at all?

I figured it can't hurt!

Mary

So DH and DS going in the woods is a good thing.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Ya know .. DH has urinated around my chicken pen before we even had the house built on the property .. it was just "where he went" ...

then I moved the chicken pen about 50 yards back ...

Can't keep the freakin' coons away now ..

I told DH he needs to take a 5o yard walk when he needs to pee ... lol

I've sure heard of it but haven't tried it. My chicken area has the buried wire and I check regular for any digging - so far, so good. But extra protection would not hurt. Does human urine discourage mice? Does anyone know or have experience?

I myself whizz behind the coop and the only problem I "had" was a feral cat, no foxes coons or other furry preds. But I don't put much stock in the premis. It doesn't bother deer so why would it bother other wildlife?

Last edited:
don't work at my place here is a female marking my mark ,this was a test to see if it would deture wildlife, i also have a photo of our local wolf doing the same thing on my mark.

MDGC0095-1-1.jpg

It might work for a little while, but animals are smart. If they realize that there wouldn't be any consequences from the "wierd smelling creature that's peeig behind that building" then they'll come back. I'd shoot/trap one and then pee around, but leave the carcass nearby, maybe even pee on it. That'll work a little better, but you'll have to keep it up for a little while. The better bet would be to just shoot/trap them. BTW I pee on my compost pile a few times throught the spring/summer/fall, and I'm in town. Granted the compost pile is behind the garden shed and hidden from the view of any neighbors by a bit of fencing and shrubbery. It makes the stuff compost better, and prevents me from tracking dirt from under my shoes throughout the house just so I have to go pee.

Back
Top Bottom