Humane Euthanasia - I had to put one of my girls to "sleep" tonight

Thank you SO MUCH for this post! I am going to have to cull a sick one and dreading it. Euthanizing this way is the best option I've seen! And brilliant to do at night.

Sorry to hear that Tamster! Also- Welcome to BYC!!
My original post about this was in 2010 and in the last 4 years, my flock has grown from 6 chickens, to 20. Along the way, I had another bird I needed to put down- the method worked like a charm. Glad I could help.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm going to read up on this as I have a sick bird in isolation now. Would like for him to make it but if not this method is something I can do. I just don't think I could do it with a hatchet or machete. I'd probably try to look away and chop off my own finger or something. Thank you for your post and having the courage to do the right thing. Poor quality of life is no life at all. Bless you Magpie

Amywho-
No water. Put the dry ice directly in the bottom of the bin, then put a wire basket- (you could use anything- that allows the air to go through but keeps the dry ice separate from the bird) whatever fits in the bin- even a cooling rack would work- then I put a few handfuls of soft hay, or other nesting material on the wire (to make a comfortable nest) and put the bird on that.

I was kind of under the impression that dry ice had to be activated somehow.
Though I'm terribly sorry for your loss, this is great information. Thank you.
<3

I think that when water is added to dry ice it makes for a foggy haze that people use for decorating for Halloween ha-ha.

Right, and the foggy haze is primarily carbon dioxide. That's why I assumed it'd be a step. I was worried it would freak the bird out a bit. I'm glad to know it's not necessary.

Sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you!
hugs.gif

I know this is an old thread, but I am grateful for it. As a "worrier," I like to be prepared and have been dreading what would seem to be the eventual need to effectuate cervical dislocation (which I am quite sure I could not perform properly, leading to suffering for my hen and loss of a digit for me). Thank you chick4chix.

Back
Top Bottom