Humane Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bawk Vader, May 27, 2010.

1. Bawk Vader

Bawk Vader Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Belleview, FL (Central)
    I had read about using various methods of euthanasia on here. I have culled my flock in the past and had just broken necks and decapitated the birds. I have also used the ol' shotgun to "euthanize" unwanted critters that were attempting a burglary in my coop. I have no problem TKB when needed. However, recently my 3 year old RIR hen, "Red", who was my first chicken I ever had became very sick. She started with a build up below her vent, then no more eggs. The past few days were followed by respratory distress, and lathargic behavior. Today she was looking exhausted and I knew she was tired of fighting. I don't have money to take a chicken to the vet to have them tell me that she won't make it after X-rays and blood tests. I love my bird and didn't want to shoot her or break her neck. So I turned to BYC and found what is a miracle in a can. "Starter Fluid"! Contents include: Diethyl Ether, Porpane, Butane, and Carbon Dioxide. I applied the Stater Fluid to a cloth and covered her beak. She was already very weak and accepting of the cloth. Within ten seconds she was calm and completely relaxed and within a minute she was asleep. We had a a service for her in the back yard and she is now burried next to our cat Magellan, ducks: Crush, Jolt, and Ninja Sr. Rest in Peace Red, we'll miss you.

[​IMG]

2. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    [​IMG]

3. [​IMG] [​IMG] so sorry for your loss...

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Bless you for sharing this with us. I will be tucking that info away for future reference. It's never easy, but it sounds like starter fluid made it tolerable. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry about your hen. Yes, the starter fluid/ether works very well when the hen is on her last legs and just goes quietly and not so well when they still have some fight in them. I may have to employ that method again soon with my internal layers, sadly.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I had to do that with my internal layers. They went quickly.

Sorry about your hen, you did the right thing!

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Wish I saw this before having to cull two of ours this past week... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by