humane meat bird care?

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
:bunhave layers now-just realized I should do Meat birds also-didn't realize they ONLY take 6 wks to mature and have a set-up for my layers but assume I should have a different set-up for meat birds-they stink-eat lots-grow quick I have read here but want to know where to look for ideas on humanely raising them til slaughter. I live in central Ohio so its too cold here most of the time to keep them outside without extra heat- free range not an option(family doesn't want poop everywhere) but want their short lives to be pleasant enough for them(save your nasty comments, I've raised critters my whole life and beleive we have a responsibility to raise them nicely as God would expect for a food animal) Any nice humans that have good suggestions for places to look for humane raising of meat birds??
bun.gif

I think we all try to give them a nice humane life before the chopping block. The best thing I have been able to come up with is a chicken tractor since it seems as all they want to do is eat. I am going to keep thm in my garage for the first 2 weeks then out to the tractor where I will have a heat lamp. They really dont roost and dont need much just some space and lots and lots of food.
smile.png

I am going to get chicks next monday and am ordering today so I decided to put broilers on the list and wondered if broiler BB's need as much heat as others and maybe I should put off buying broilers until late spring? I have a lamp and a dirt floor barn so maybe I could set them up in a stall(in an enclosed pen) and thought I could tie my dog (she loves to babysit things and prefers the outside) in the stall at night to discourage predation. I can't imagine chickens growing as fast as I read and this part of chick owning will be sooo new.

I would wait until may if I was you. Check out our website, you might be able to get some ideas.

Where at in Central Ohio? By Columbus? I'm in Akron.

Quote:
I live in Michigan, and my meat birds are coming in about 10 days. They'll spend about 3 weeks in the brooder in my garage, then out into a tractor for the rest of the time. These aren't like layers in terms of heat requirements- after three weeks, unless you're getting freezing temps, they'll do fine on their own.

It all boils down to what one's definition of "humane" is. PETA's definition and mine vary. Each type of animal requires different amounts of care to thrive. Follow the proper protocal needed for each type or breed's needs. Provide for common sence husbandry including protection from predators will allow for an invite of all of the meat type chickens to a fine Sunday dinner.

I'm not sure what you consider "humane" but I have a few tractors on "my pages".If you have any questions I'd be glad to help.My climate should be close to yours.I don't get chicks until late April early May.Then I still keep them under a lamp for about 4 weeks. Will

;)My idea of humane is simply raising them so they are comfortable,not too bored,nor too stressed and their end is from the tractor to the cone real quick. i eat meat but only if its had a happy life that ended quick(not a long loading period, truck ride, and fear from shock capable humans) thats why I like wild venison now.. don't have a garage but feel barn will be OK until they go into a tractor(which I don't have yet) my egg layers are in a shed with run access/compost playtime.no-I do not approve of PETA tactics. I'm always in the middle.ramble.
big_smile.png

Mine seemed to enjoy having a reasonably spacious run. They got to sit in the sunshine, play chicken type games with each other (admittedly in an increasingly infrequent and Sumo-wrestler-like way as they got large), fly a little bit while they still could, eat a few bugs.

It probably does not totally optimize rate of weight gain but my still porked up at a good clip, and they had muscles in places that storeboughten birds NEVER do
tongue.png

Pat

i raised 50 last fall in a large coop, and altho they did not get outside on the grass, had plenty of windows with sunshine on them, good ventilation, lots of water, deep litter method with fresh straw 2 times a day - food 12 hours on/ 12 hours off with some grass thrown in daily.
they seemed to be contented and friendly, letting me walk among them spreading straw. i am going to raise them again that way this spring.

Back
Top Bottom