This is from my chicken book:
20240323_082240.jpg
20240323_082243.jpg
20240323_082247.jpg
20240323_082258.jpg
20240323_082307.jpg
20240323_082319.jpg
17111824831582294368515802383416.jpg

I have read a post somewhere here about human way of culling chicken. Put them to sleep first and then cull ..or something..
I don't want them to suffer, so if anyone could point me to that thread/article/post would be thankful.
If you have any friends that hunt can you ask them to dispatch her?

All my birds that have needed euthanasia have been shot point blank in the back of the head with a .22 long gun after dark. By the time a hen needs euthanasia, they are typically very weak and don't struggle or try to wander off.

She is taken to the site (usually up the road in the woods well away from the coop/run/pen) and gently laid on the ground on her keel. Then I walk away and my friend puts the gun to her head and it's over in a split second.

My personal preference is to leave her where she lay. I'd rather some animal come along and find her for a meal and survive that night because she died than bury her. I think it is more natural and for me, it is just her body. The essence of her is no longer there.

it doesn’t matter how you do it, they are going to fight it so doing it the way that is best for you and quick for the bird is the best method. One method does not work better than another, it depends on the person doing it. We use a cone and cut off the head. It’s not pleasant if you’re an animal lover, but none of the options are anyway because you’re killing something.

A bit of a story about the passing of Bluey.
I had a ten year old hen once and I took her to a vet in France to be euthanised. Her legs had given way you understand, it was the kindest thing. Anyway, I went up to the reception with Bluey who was taking in all around her in the cat basket. As I was waiting not one dog or cat made a sound despite them all seeing her. I suspect, now, that it was surprise. I digress, when I got to the counter and explained I had a “Poule for le pique”, she looked at me and blinked twice. “Quoi ?” (what ?) I repeated my request. She looked in the basket somewhat aghast and sent me to see a vet who clearly was not amused to have his time wasted, then, after doing the job (twice coz he didn’t know how much to give her) he charged me 60€ for my pleasure. Me who was choking back the tears.
In France hens are for eating or eggs, not as pets. I will be doing any euthanasia necessary in the future … Or taking her to a hen farm and asking them to do it for me.

A bit of a story about the passing of Bluey.
I had a ten year old hen once and I took her to a vet in France to be euthanised. Her legs had given way you understand, it was the kindest thing. Anyway, I went up to the reception with Bluey who was taking in all around her in the cat basket. As I was waiting not one dog or cat made a sound despite them all seeing her. I suspect, now, that it was surprise. I digress, when I got to the counter and explained I had a “Poule for le pique”, she looked at me and blinked twice. “Quoi ?” (what ?) I repeated my request. She looked in the basket somewhat aghast and sent me to see a vet who clearly was not amused to have his time wasted, then, after doing the job (twice coz he didn’t know how much to give her) he charged me 60€ for my pleasure. Me who was choking back the tears.
In France hens are for eating or eggs, not as pets. I will be doing any euthanasia necessary in the future … Or taking her to a hen farm and asking them to do it for me.
I am blessed to have an animal loving niece who works as a vet tech.

I don't care that he wasn't used to treating "livestock". People become attached to other living things. It's human nature and to treat you with anything other than respect is less than acceptable. Good for you for finding another doc.

Back
Top Bottom