"Humane" way of culling chicken?

Oh, it's a turkey. The broomstick method might be a bit more difficult in that case, due to the size of the bird, the length of the legs and the neck. There is a method that involves the use of ether (engine starter fluid) but I don't know how you would use it on a turkey either. Let me ask one of our educators, I'll bet she can give you the link to the article on it.

Help me out please, @Wyorp Rock?
For me, I would not try the broomstick method on a full grown Turkey. Even large roosters I don't use the broomstick method.

For a large bird, I'd decapitate, cut the jugular or shoot the bird. Whatever method is quickest.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the ether and it seems like it would be a fiddly thing to do and would take time to gather supplies and get setup.

Thanks, I feel the same way about the ether. Not really wanting to run out and set all this up for now. If I used an axe, do you think it would be one swift blow or could it possibly take longer?
A sharp axe to cut clean through would take one blow.

Some folks use very sharp loppers like you cut shrubbery/tree limbs with. I've never used those for this purpose either. But I can see it being quick and effective if they are properly sharp.

:hugsI'm sorry you face this. It's not easy and when a bird is sick/suffering it can be even more stressful.

Yes, limb loppers can work, but not the ratcheting kind. I've not used these on a live bird, but the lady that processes my chickens always leaves the neck attached. I use loppers to remove it and it works very well. I'm sorry you're going through this too, and wish you the best.

Uh guys...the topics here got mixed up. My original question was a way of humane way of culling so we can eat the poultry (I hatch a lot for myself to sell eggs and we eat the roosters). I know there is a way to give something to the birth to breath (goes in the lungs), not inject in the blood. The bird is...sedative or falls asleep and then you cull. My question was - what do you give them to sedate them before culling (to eat).

Now, @arazla is taking about a sick turkey...slightly different.

Back
Top Bottom