Humane way to kill a goose

DancingRoo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
Oregon
I searched through the forum and didn't find any threads related to this. I've also googled and watched way too many videos on youTube. I feel sickened by the brutality and lack of concern for their animals people have.

I have 4 Toulouse Geese and I've had them for about 3 years now. I think they're probably boys because none of them have ever laid an egg. They've been fine from the time I first got them but now they're getting aggressive. The whole point was to have goose eggs and goslings that would grow up to be dinner so it doesn't do me any good to have all males.

I'm going to keep one because he's still friendly and another one for a companion. I don't know whether geese are social like chickens but I don't want him to be lonely. Is an axe the most humane way to kill them? Almost all the videos on youTube use that method and there's days when I ****** off enough that I've been tempted but if a creature is going to put food on the table, the least I can do is give them the least traumatic death that I can.

Cindie

In the past, I have used an axe to decapitate geese - it does take a considerable amount of force to do so humanely.

The best, quickest, drama free method is decapitation, but you have to be comfortable doing it to get the job done in one fell swoop to avoid causing the animal pain and stress. You can pound a U bolt into a wood stump, and use that to stabilize the head to give you more space for a harder impact and better aim with an axe- this is how we dispatch our ducks for eating and it works well. I've seen other methods of stringing up and slitting throats to bleed out and stuff, but this to me seems cruel and drawn out, and if you're not eating the bird I don't see the point of bloodletting.

Make sure the axe is super sharp I understand their neck muscles are very tough. also putting something over their head may help keep them calm. When we do our extra roos my dh tapes their feet together while I hold them. that keeps them still also.

Thank you. My husband is home for a while so he can help and he's not as squeamish about these things. I don't have problem with killing if it's a mean rooster or even meat birds. Though, I usually let one or two live out their lives free waddling with the rest of the chickens. There's always that one that has a good personality.

Cindie

Thank you. My husband is home for a while so he can help and he's not as squeamish about these things. I don't have problem with killing if it's a mean rooster or even meat birds. Though, I usually let one or two live out their lives free waddling with the rest of the chickens. There's always that one that has a good personality.

Cindie

Same here Cindie, and good luck to you both on dispatching your goose. I have some ducks that could never kill.

Hood may not be such a good idea. I needed to cull a drake and then he got injured so I couldn't put it off. I tried the "sock over the head after watching a video where the guy covered the ducks eyes with hand as it made then stop wiggling, as he chopped with the other hand. Someone else said put a sock over head. I waited till almost dark, and using a stump and put in a feed bag with a hole in it (like a cone), to immobilize, put sock over head and hit hard.... the mistake was... the sock dulled the impact of the hatchet I just sharpened and it took 3 blows
roll.png
. Next time I will do when I had to dispatch another dying duck (injured beyond help), I took a sledge hammer to the head in a bag. As it least it knocked it out quickly. Holderreads books say to hit the back of the head with a stout stick first to stun the bird before cutting... this seems kinder... Knock them cold, then they aren't conscious of dying at any level.... there are still some reflexes and electrical signals that continue for a few moments, that is why the slit throat and bleed without a blow seems not as humane....the last struggle for life....

Back
Top Bottom