Humidity and egg turner?

As Egghead said one reason to remove the turner instead of just turning it off is that some turners have sharp corners where a leg, neck, or wing can get stuck. The other reason is to make cleanup a lot easier, especially if the motor is exposed where the chicks can get to it and drag slime over it or poop on it.

There is no one perfect humidity that works for everyone for many different reasons, it can be a bit of trial and error to determine what works best for you. As you can see several people have determined that a fairly low humidity around 30% works best for them. I’ve found that somewhere around 39% works best for me. Some people are quite happy in the 40%’s. There are different ways to adjust that humidity.

There is science behind hatching but in the end each incubator is different and where we have them are different. Even the professionals with incubators that might hold 60,000 eggs each have to tweak the individual incubators to get better hatches. There is some art involved as well as science. But the good thing is that there is a reasonably wide range of incubation humidities that will work. You don’t absolutely have to be that exact with humidities. There really isn’t a whole lot of difference in 43% and 46% as far as getting most of the eggs to hatch. What we are talking about is maximizing the hatch which takes some experience and trial and error. Right now I see no reason for you to get upset or worried. You will probably do pretty well. Sure hope so.

I candled the egg on Sunday I was just looking for veins and I forgot about the air pocket. When is it safe to candle them again?

I candled the egg on Sunday I was just looking for veins and I forgot about the air pocket. When is it safe to candle them again?
LOL You are asking the wrong person. I'm a candling addict. I spot check by candling every night. At least 4-5 eggs. When YOU are comfortable is the answer I would give.

Just grab a few at random tonight to look at air cell growth. They all wont be the same and attempting to be exact to the model is certainly not needed. It's an ideal aim is all. Reference to let you know if you should lower humidity or raise it for final few days. If very small cells compared to model just run dry for last 5 days. It's all good. What trial and error/science tells us is hatch rates are greatly increased if the egg loses (forget actual number) 12% ? weight. I'm not weighing eggs and keeping a record. The air cell model is doing the same thing, more air is water loss (weight loss).

I've had two incubators and incubated in two locations. HIgh 20's to 35% always gives me darn close to the model of air cell size. Drastically different environments may alter that but if the humidity in incubator is X amount that should not waver much no matter the external environment. At X humidity in contained space eggs lose X amount of water through evaporation. Extremely dry desert air would be very different than my environment but it only means I need more water surface area to maintain X% humidity in incubator. Regardless, eggs hatch at a very large range of environmental conditions. By design they are survivors. My best hatches 90-100% are when the air cells are on track with model. With a calibrated hygrometer that's in the range of 25-35% RH.

Thank you! This really helped me. They are on day 11 I believe.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom