Humidity and temperature homemade incubator

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
Hello! I made a homemade incubator and currently have 4 eggs inside. It was a process to get the temp stable but after some modification I got it to stay pretty stable. On day 18 and I added a dish of water to raise humidity to about 75%. Welp overnight the humidity dropped from 75 to 50. I added water to raise it back up right away. I've read that if it drops the membrane inside will shrink and trap the chick. So my question is if it drops and I raise it back up is there a chance the chick will be ok? I don't want to take it out and candle it to see what's happening since it's overnight and day 19 now. Thanks

I forgot to ask also... whenever I raise humidity it makes the the temp go down about 4 or 5 degrees. Is this ok?

It will only shrink wrap them if they have pipped. Does it go back to normal temperature quickly? What is the temperature before it drops or what temperature does it drop to?

It stays pretty steady at 100. I have a thermometer with a dial and the one you buy in the store for chicks with the mercury. It may fluctuate by 2 degrees with the day so it may go down to 98 overnight and 102 at the hottest part of the day but I can still see them moving around when I candled them. When I add water the temp drops to about 96 and stays there and humidity goes up to about 70-75 depending on how much water I've added

It stays pretty steady at 100. I have a thermometer with a dial and the one you buy in the store for chicks with the mercury. It may fluctuate by 2 degrees with the day so it may go down to 98 overnight and 102 at the hottest part of the day but I can still see them moving around when I candled them. When I add water the temp drops to about 96 and stays there and humidity goes up to about 70-75 depending on how much water I've added
So the temperature stays at 96f the entire time it is at 70-75% humidity? When temperature changes your percentage of humidity changes, so if you have 70% humidity and change the temperature the humidity percentage will change

So the temperature stays at 96f the entire time it is at 70-75% humidity? When temperature changes your percentage of humidity changes, so if you have 70% humidity and change the temperature the humidity percentage will change
Yes. I have the bulb through the side of a styrofoam cooler. It's a 25 watt bulb but it still gets too warm if it's inserted all the way so Ive had it only half way in the entire time. I added water for humidity and the temp dropped to about 96 so I inches the bulb in closer and it still seems to not get any warmer. I've read that temp will change humidity not the other way around so idk what it is I'm missing here...

Yes. I have the bulb through the side of a styrofoam cooler. It's a 25 watt bulb but it still gets too warm if it's inserted all the way so Ive had it only half way in the entire time. I added water for humidity and the temp dropped to about 96 so I inches the bulb in closer and it still seems to not get any warmer. I've read that temp will change humidity not the other way around so idk what it is I'm missing here...
I think it might be because the water is cold, maybe try adding warm water instead. As the incubator warms up the percentage of the humidity will go down but technically it is the same as it was before, so when it says it is 70% humidity And 96f it might be the same or similar humidity as when it say 50% and 100f

I think it might be because the water is cold, maybe try adding warm water instead. As the incubator warms up the percentage of the humidity will go down but technically it is the same as it was before, so when it says it is 70% humidity And 96f it might be the same or similar humidity as when it say 50% and

Ok I'll add warmer water in it. The water I have is room temp as I have a jug sitting next to the incubator but I'll dump it and use warm water. I was also thinking about picking up a small diffuser/humidifier and just adding water to keep the humidity up overnight

Back
Top Bottom