humidity and temps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tsagirl, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Ok....I am gonna get this right and hatch LOTS of babies...so.....
    what should be a good temp to keep in a still air incubator?
    what humidity?
    I finally went to wallmart and purchased a thermomiter with a humidity.
    Please tell me whatever you guys know.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here's one good website that has some of the info you're looking for. http://www.shilala.com/incubating.html
    If
    you have the AcuRite from Walmart that cost about $12, then just wanted to be sure you know that the probe only measures temp, not humidity. To measure humidity, you'll have to place the entire unit in the bator. It's just a common mistake with that unit.
    I do 40-50% humidity the first 18 days(sometimes letting it drop to 35) then 65-70% the last three days. A good still air temp is 101-102 degrees.

3. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    i keep my still air lg at about 102. and humidity a little below 50 %. hope this helps. after day 18 usually around 101.5 and humidity above 60 % usually whatever i can get it up too. i use socks wetted down with warm to hot water.

4. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    :jumpyohh sounds really good. I will do this.
    I dont know what brand it is but it measures humidity and temp and is about the size of your palm. Its neat because it reads the exact same as my old thermometer. YEA!
    I will do that, thank you everyone
    [​IMG]

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck, Tsa!!! Welcome to the addiction. Hope you are already working on your chicken coops!

6. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    That is funny that you say "chicken coops"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have talked my DH into making a HUGE chicken coop to house at least 9 chickens. I am saying this is a big deal because we only have .7 acers. LOL!
    He has built the bottom now but got lots to go.
    Doesn't he know I need a farm?!
    [​IMG]

Well I am so prepared now and I am gonna fill my bator up with 50 eggs...yes I said 50! I am one crazy woman! [​IMG]

7. tnfarmeggs

tnfarmeggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    lol hubby doesn't know but he is going to have to make another coop or add on to ours this summer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by